1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Zen-like aquascape - work in progress

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by slapmonster, Jul 24, 2013.

1. slapmonster

slapmonster New Member

Hi all,

This is my first aquascape, and I'm liking the way it's turning out so far, but not completely happy with it. I just ordered some staurogyne repens to add to the foreground. I'm still not absolutely sure what plants to put in the background. I want it to look more lush and taller in the back. Any comments/criticism/suggestion? Like I said its my first aquascape, so any direction would help a great deal. Thanks so much for your time!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  2. slapmonster

slapmonster New Member

All help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks! :)

3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi slapmonster, Well For a first attempt :D DW love the shape ;) The big plant at the front :( Better at the back will obscure view and flow of Scape Twisted val LH and RH Side Again better at the Back or Middle with something taller behind . Love the river Stones maybe some smaller ones scattered around bigger ones .Others will be able to help more;) But your of to a good start:cool: Regards Roy

slapmonster likes this.
  4. slapmonster

slapmonster New Member

Thanks for your suggestions! I may be taking all the val completely out, as I don't like the way it looks anymore. We'll see. I get all my stones from my backyard, because my house used to be a riverbed. Will look for smaller stones. Thanks!

5. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Slapmonster, As to val All ways looks better planted in groups Three or More ;) If you are using Liquid C02 Val does not do well ?:( I don't have to go far to get river stones :) Local Stream 20 min Walk :whistle: But out side your door :rolleyes: Well Nice:D Regards Roy

slapmonster likes this.
  6. slapmonster

slapmonster New Member

Thanks! Will try to bunch them up and see if it helps

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  7. slapmonster

slapmonster New Member

Any other opinions? I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to get some dope plants. Hoping to have suggestions from you experts before I go :)

8. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

slapmonster

Its a great start plenty to build on.

That front plant if its a Sword it will cover a big section of that tank.

Placement and shape of the driftwood very good, once that is in the best position its always easy to work with.

Now for the BIG NONO

Substrate and rocks "6" different colours why?

The DW is smooth shaping I would be on the hunt for natural darker Earthy coloured river stones, to blend in not distract like they do now.

I would get that right first long before buying plants.

Do all the plant research now and get it right first go and it will not disappoint you at all.

Keith:):)

slapmonster likes this.
  9. slapmonster

slapmonster New Member

Many people have said the same thing about the sword. I'm definitely considering changing it now.

Man I didn't even think about the rocks being different colors haha. I'm gonna keep an eye out for some less distracting ones when I go to the store tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback man!

10. keithgh

slapmonster

I hate to say it but 99% of the time if you make something your self you often miss the very obvious faults.

That is why I often recommend take a photo and look at it that way no distraction at all.

If you have any landscape gardeners in you area that is the best place to look or Garden suppliers.

greenfinger 2 and slapmonster like this.
  11. slapmonster

slapmonster New Member

So an update on the tank: Found the plants I wanted and literally just planted them. I gotta say, I like the densely planted look.

Staurogyne repens coming in the mail tomorrow. Once I get them, I will redo the rocks (probably take the red one out) and possibly take the centerpiece sword out, as it does seem to take up a lot of space like many have suggested.

Thoughts?

20Gallon_Denser.jpg

12. keithgh

slapmonster

If that is the case take all the rocks out including the big one (back centre) and add simple ground cover plants

After that big rock is out could be the perfect location for the Sword plant.

13. slapmonster

slapmonster New Member

I'm gonna let things grow a few weeks before deciding to remove all the rocks. Definitely taking the red rock out, not sure why it was there in the first place :confused: