1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

zeldar's mini-m iwagumi

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by zeldar, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, I was referring to your original post I assumed that was parvula.
    Acicularis tends to be most common from places that deal with far east growers, I don't know how many places that is state side but it makes it fairly common around here.

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

so when are you flooding the tank? :)

3. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Sorry, haha i didnt mean Acicularis either! I am thinking of the hairgrass that has the little 'knots' or nodes in them which grow tall. I have kept Acicularis and have some in this tank right now, but it just won't grow tall for me. I guess its because its a high light tank (27w over 5.5g) but i do raise the light up high about the surface (at least 8").

Juri - I will probably flood it this weekend. I am really reconsidering the Giant Hairgrass in this tank. The blades of grass are just to thick for the size tank. It throws off the scale in my opinion. I might pull it and just keep the shorter hairgrass in the background...

4. Jurijs mit JS

I think the hair grass you are talking about is vivipara ;)
    concerning the background planting, how about juncus repens?

5. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Yes! Thats it Juri, Vivipara. I can never find it for sale here!

I do like the juncus repens but I think its just to overpowering of a plant for this tank. hmmm i just don't know what to do!

6. zeldar

zeldar New Member

The tank is filled! I wasn't very careful with filling so some of the substrate and mini pellia go kicked up. So you see the weighted pieces on the parts that came up. Overall, I am happy with how the pellia stayed down. I have the co2 running at 1 bubble per second. I just love these Fluval diffusers! The bubbles are soooo much smaller than any ADA diffuser I've ever had, and a fraction the price!... They don't look the greatest, but oh well...

I obviously removed the giant hairgrass. I just wasn't feeling it in this scape. I will just cross my fingers and hope the normal hairgrass grows taller... I don't know if you can tell from the below picture, but the riccia is pearling like crazy! I know its a pain to maintain, but you just can't beat the color, shape and pearling of riccia!

I have 17 tiger shrimp on the way for this tank. I will probably start them out in my old 10g that is still running with nothing but substrate. I want this tank to be fully cycled first. I did seed the 2213 for a couple weeks so it is probably ready. I also added a bottle of SafeStart to give it a bacteria boost.

[​IMG]

7. severumkid

severumkid Aspiring Aquascaper

Careful with shrimps, they will pull out Riccia?

8. Jurijs mit JS

oh yes, I'm afraid the shrimps might ruin the carpet
    I would have attached the mini pellia to metal wire, than no worries about it

9. zeldar

zeldar New Member

I really doubt they ruin the carpet. I had a 2.5g with a 4x4 patch carpeted with MP and there were probably 50 Fire Red's in the tank. The carpet wasn't bothered one bit. Once MP takes hold, it really won't let go. I will give the tank another week before adding the shrimp.

10. zeldar

zeldar New Member

tanks doing ok. Its getting a bit of algae on the MP but i think its from when it was emmersed because its along the glass where the water line was.

I'll be adding the tiger shrimp to this tank verys soon. Ammonia and Nitrite are gone now so its basically ready. Just need to raise the TDS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. zeldar

zeldar New Member

I removed the riccia as it turned out to not be mini riccia. I just don't think that stuff exists anymore. The shrimp were picking it all over the place so I removed it.

The tigers and Paul's CRS are doing great in here. They do like to dig under the pellia carpet. I hope it stays down, but i can see this ending badly haha...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am going to post this in both of my journals, because people need to try these things! Its perfect for nano tanks and can easily be converted to a paintball setup. It has 2 separate needle valves that are decent for the price and a gauge to tell how much co2 is remaining. Cost was only $65 shipped and it has a working 120v solenoid so it shuts off at night!!! So i have 1 paintball tank supplying both of my mini-m's...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

zelder, accicularis and vivipara are the species you'll want-- I'm sure you can find them by posted a "wanted" thread on almost any of these plant forums. Besides, you live in the US-- you're hooked up to basically everyone by mail. I'd send you some myself but... I live in Japan so... yeah.

The tank itself looks great though. :)

13. zeldar

zeldar New Member

thank you very much Steven, the hairgrass seems to be growing up a little, i just wish it would add a couple extra inches...

Not much change here. I did add a small portion of Hydropiper that I was FINALLY able to find! I am super excited to get this plant as I have been wanting it for over a year. Its supposed to be be kinda difficult to grow but we will see. I know it needs cooler temps and sense I have a fan blowing on the tank, the water stays around 72 so hopefully that will be ok.

[​IMG]

carpet is getting pretty solid, but still not completely attached to the substrate in places...
    [​IMG]

some Hydropiper
    [​IMG]

climbing the mountain
    [​IMG]

berried tiger!!!
    [​IMG]