1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

zeldar's mini-m CRS tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by zeldar, Mar 5, 2012.

1. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Just started this mini-m back up a week ago. It's been through a couple different phases and even had a stint in the attic. Below is its first, and best in my opinion, phase:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recently I had the urge to try CRS again. I've tried a couple times now. Both times I just bought a group of 15 (S+ and SS) and threw them in a planted tank only for them to slowlyyyy die off and not breed. Of course I was pissed and each time swore them off for good since they were nothing but a money pit for me. Welllll, their charm has grown back on me. I am going to actually try my hand at keeping them happy, not my tank happy. That means no/or very very little co2, little to no ferts, RO water, acceptable gH and TDS... the whole nine yards. Hopefully with some planning, they will breed for the first time for me!

So this tank has a piece of driftwood (either sycamore or chestnut) according to the supplier. Anyone know if these types of wood are ok for CRS? Also, does this stuff ever sink!?!? Doesn't seem to...

Plants will be basically all mosses and a marsilea minuta carpet. I am still waiting on fissidens to arrive so i can add it to the branches. On to the specs:
    Do Aqua Mini-m
    Archaea 26watt clip on
    2211 with ADA lily pipes
    Fluval Shrimp Statum substrate
    RO water with shrimp additives to raise gH and TDS
    paintball co2 if i decide to test it with the CRS

[​IMG]

from left on the branches: weeping moss, singapore moss, singapore moss (and soon to be fissidens and mini pellia)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Zeldar, you don't go by Uglygenius on other forums do you? I recognise the first scape.
    Both are very nice, I'll be watching.

3. zeldar

zeldar New Member

No I do not. I know who you are talking about though. He hasn't been on the forums in a long time. I go by zeldar on other forums as well.

Thanks for the compliment. It's good to be here!

4. tardis

tardis New Member

i breed crs with ease man, never had any trouble dosing ferts or CO2 and i started out with A grade and culled out for 2 years to produce S and SS now and im crawling in them. i have 3 breeders set up lol. btw i use tap for them as well. even with having access to RO due to having a reef tank and a RO/DI unit in my house. its just easier to to do changes with my python and reverse the flow. Good luck with this new attempt and keep the pic coming!

5. tardis

tardis New Member

also if you have any questions fell free man. ill let you in on all my tricks and do my best to help you out!

6. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Thank you tardis! I just couldn't get my CRS to breed one bit. At first I had a couple berried females but they would lose their eggs when it got close to hatching time. After a couple berries, they stopped even that. Then they just slowly died off one by one, either by jumping out or unknown causes in the tank. If you are selling some of your CRS, let me know, I'll be in the market for them in a couple weeks when i know the water params are stable.

7. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Sigh... I'm just not meant to have nice things... I broke my outflow installing it on the tank. Really made me mad. So I put the old ADA style outflow the onefang made me a while back.

I have all the plants in place now. The wood has weeping, fissidens, and singapore moss on it. Then just the minuta as the foreground is all the plants. Oh and I threw in the marimo ball also.

The only test I can find is ammonia. It is reading 0 so I am assuming the cycle is done. I did add a half bottle of Tetra SafeStart for some extra bacteria. The red and white thing you see in the background is a bag of AquaClear bio balls. I know my ph tester is somewhere around so I'll find that and test. TDS came out to 84 so I need to raise that a tad but shouldnt be too difficult.

So I am pretty sure this tank is close to ready. I will give it one more week and then add some CRS!!

[​IMG]
    a little bit of minuta growth...
    [​IMG]

8. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

love the look in its first stage, was it mini pellia on the rocks? superglue?

9. zeldar

zeldar New Member

I know the first piece of wood is better! I am keeping it for a larger tank. It was also very hard to keep the tank clean with that wood. It dirtied up the water quite a bit so I figured it wasn't a good idea with CRS. Believe me, I will bring it back to life in a future scape!

It was mini pellia just stuffed in the cracks on top. No glue used. Eventually the mini pellia just spread and took over the whole piece of wood! It actually got quite invasive and very hard to remove.

10. Peanut8787

Peanut8787 New Member

Nice scape. Will be looking forward to how your foreground turn out.

11. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Thanks Peanut!

The tank is slowlyyyy growing in which is ok with me. Slower growth means less trimming. Theres a tiny bit of short green hair algae on some of the mosses closer to the water surface. I'm still waiting for the wood to sink, hopefully it will soon. I am really getting tired of that rock in there!

I added 17 tiger shrimp and all have done great except for 2 jumping ship. There is one berried and I am hoping to move them over to the other mini m soon which will be their permanent home.

A couple days ago, a super kind friend sent me 7 CRS and 1 CBS to test the water for some higher grades CRS I want to get. All 8 are still doing perfect right now. I have been trying to get the TDS up in the tank to around 130. Its about 100 now and I'll continue to slowly raise it.

[​IMG]
    berried tiger and CBS
    [​IMG]
    that tiger looks blue for some reason. must be the angle
    [​IMG]

12. zeldar

zeldar New Member

I added a couple new plants to the layout. The driftwood edge is lined with crypt parva to give a little slope from the MM to the wood. I think it will be nice when both plants grow in some. I also added some dwarf hairgrass behind the wood. You can't really see it from the pics as its short. Hopefully it will grow towards the surface.

The shrimp are doing fine and still buzzing around. A couple look to be breeding age, so I am crossing my fingers!
    [​IMG]
    parva
    [​IMG]
    hairgrass in the back
    [​IMG]

I am going to post this in both of my journals, because people need to try this regulator and solenoid! Its perfect for nano tanks and can easily be converted to a paintball setup. It has 2 separate needle valves that are decent for the price and a gauge to tell how much co2 is remaining. Cost was only $65 shipped and it has a working 120v solenoid so it shuts off at night!!! So i have 1 paintball tank supplying both of my mini-m's...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. triscene

triscene New Member

whats your experience with this kind of needle valve?
    i had ones like this and i needed regulate them every other day. i got pissed and sold them and bought another type which is okay :)

14. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Oh no! Don't tell me that! haha They seem to be okay right now. Although it wouldn't shock me if they falter down the road, the price was a little too good to be true... If they do end up not working properly, i can take them off and add on my own needle valves.

15. zeldar

zeldar New Member

I saw a berried SSS!! I couldn't be more excited since I have never had success breeding CRS before. Hopefully she won't drop her first clutch...

[​IMG]

MM is slowlyyyyy spreading
    [​IMG]

conquering a node of MM...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]