1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

zeldar's 60-P

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by zeldar, Jul 12, 2016.

1. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Tank: ADA 60P mist
    Substrate: Fluval Stratum
    Lighting: 4x24w T5HO (1x 6500k 1x Pink for 7.5hrs a day, 1x 6700k 1x Purple for 5 hrs a day)
    co2: atomic inline
    Ferts: currently 10g EI + additonal Fe + Excel
    Flora: R. Colorata, R. Green, R. H'Ra, R. Ceylon, R. Goias, M. Umbrosum, L. Repens 'super red', Stauro 049, Belem hairgrass

I tried to replicate a tank I loved in last years AGA contest. It obviously isn't close to it, but I still feel it looks pretty good so far. I love me some Rotalas so this was the perfect scape for me. I'm having some trouble with parameters. Not sure if its a faulty NO3 test or what, but the ppm is raising without me adding NO3. I've been switching around dosing from PPS Pro to EI to custom mixes. Although the pictures don't show it, I have quite a bit of GDA/GSA on the glass, rocks, old plant leaves.

I had sand in the front middle, but it didn't look right so its been replaced with substrate and the current plan is to have a Goais/belem area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photoshop job by onefang- visionary of the foreground
    [​IMG]

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

zeldar

Its a nice colourful Aquascape

Substrate what is it and how long since it was changed?

How old is this set up?

Filtration type and mediums used also when and how cleaned?

Have you used any Bio starters?

Water changes how often and what percentages?

Keith:cat::cat:

3. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Thanks Keith!

Substrate is Fluval Stratum and was new when this tank started.
    Set up is about 2.5 weeks old.
    The filter is an Eheim 2215 which was cleaned before setup. I don't clean filters as often as I probably should, but will try to clean it every couple of months.
    I've been using Nite Out II for bacteria.
    50% water changes weekly.

The Ludwigia, Umbrosom, and Staurogyne were all tissue cultures. While the other two are transitioning fine and really growing, the Staurogyne doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is it notoriously slow to convert fully submerged?

4. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Very whimsical. Nice.

5. keithgh

zeldar

You are still going through the Cycling process and your Ph will be all over the place.
    Fluval Stratum Promotes Neutral to Mildly Acidic pH

MICROBE-LIFT/Nite-Out II is designed specifically for aquarium waters that contain marine life
    https://www.microbelift.com
    That is not saying it is not suitable for FW tanks but I would still prefer Seachem Stability a proven product that I used for many years.

My suggestion at the moment would be twice weekly 50% water changes.
    Filter cleaning at least once a month.

6. onefang

onefang New Member

Nite-Out has been around for a long time, and is equally efficient in both salt and freshwater, so there is no problem there. As far as the nitrogen cycle is concerned, if you no longer see ammonia or nitrite, you've completed the cycle. Before you jump into trying to remediate a problem, you should probably verify there actually is a problem(perhaps either by calibrating your test kit, or using another known good kit). API kits are notoriously inaccurate, so that would be my first suspicion if that's what you are using.

7. keithgh

onefang

Thank you for posting that information.

8. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Yeah I am using the API kit. Ammonia and Nitrite are reading 0, but Nitrate is in the 40-80ppm range (color shades look identical). I broke down and ordered the Salifert kit so should get a better reading tomorrow.

I don't want to jinx anything, but a couple days ago I did a 90% water change when I discovered the nitrate so high. When it was drained I wiped off as much GDA/GSA from the glass as I could. As of today it hasn't really grown back in the spots I wiped. It is still nice and green on the spots I didn't wipe and on the rocks, but hoping I turned a corner with this algae. On to the next!

DeepScape and keithgh like this.
  9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I have wanted to see a tank mix hair grass and rotala Mexicana goias for a long time!

onefang likes this.
  10. keithgh

zeldar

A good way to test your test kit is take a good water sample to a reliable LFS and get them to test the water and at the same time using your kit if there is a difference there is a problem somewhere.

11. onefang

onefang New Member

Another thing you can try if you have an accurate scale handy:
    Mix 1.23 g of KNO3 into 200 ml of RO/Distilled water. Dose 10 ml of this solution into 1 US gallon(or 3.785 L) of RO or distilled and mix well. Test the water from the gallon, and it should read ~10 ppm

Ideally you should make a few steps to calibrate(low, mid, and high of the full test range), but for now, this will probably do.

12. zeldar

zeldar New Member

I used the new NO3 test kit and got a more typical reading of 10ppm. I went ahead with a half dose of KNO3 yesterday but my NO3 readings are still 10ppm today before lights on. I guess the fish and fish food are providing enough NO3 that I may not need to dose much in the future.

onefang likes this.
  13. keithgh

zeldar

Keep us updated on your test results please.