1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

zeldar's 60-P Unzan stone scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by zeldar, Aug 23, 2012.

1. zeldar

zeldar New Member

I am going to catch yall up on my new tank so lots of pics for the first post!

Tank Specs:
    tank: ADA 60-P mist
    light: Fishneedit 4x 24watt T5HO
    substrate: Aquasoil normal and powder
    filter: Eheim 2215 with aquamagic pipes
    co2: 24oz. paintball tank with GLA regulator diffused with a Do Aqua 20D music glass
    ferts: Brighty K, Step 1, Step 2
    flora: HC, e. hydropiper, Rotala Macrandra
    fauna: probably 20 Espei Rasbora, 10 pygmy corries, amano shrimp, a couple assassin snails

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a close up view. Please don't mind the bird nest knots, I am going to get the claps today if they have them at the hardware store. Then I need to trim off the extra wire cable to clean it up and run the light power cords down the back of the SS rods.
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the stand. Its about as basic as it gets but thats fine.
    [​IMG]

The holes I drilled for the filter lines came out pretty nice, although I would say a bit too big. I will probably use a sharpie to color in the brown part.
    [​IMG]

And the goods inside the stand: filter, co2, and two ballasts
    [​IMG]

Finally got some plants in here. I had a melted shipment of HC so had to reorder. The plant list has changed quite a bit in the last 2 weeks. I was going to go with just HC and some tenellus between the rocks. Then HC in the front and glosso in the back. Then HC in the front and HM in the back. Now the plan is HC in the back and between the rocks, hydropiper in the front (we will see if I can get it to spread, if not I'll try glosso), and rotala macrandra in the back behind the main stone. I'm kinda worried the macrandra's leave size may be too large for this scape. Once it grows in some, if it looks off I may pull it and go with Colorata, Sunset, or Green.

I don't really know what will be planted in the Unzan pockets on the main stone. Right now there is the tiny bit of UG and hydropiper just bc I had it leftover from the move. May go with HC or glosso.

I checked the ammonia and nitrite today for the first time. Shockingly they both showed 0!! The aquasoil has only been cycling for 12 days or so. It does have a mature filter on it but that has never sped up the aquasoil leeching of ammonia. Is the new aquasoil have less ammonia or something? I'm nervous to add fish thinking its a false reading or something...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ahhh, planting ol' HC never gets old...
    [​IMG]

Macrandra in the back
    [​IMG]

I now have the Hydropiper planed up front so I will get some pictures up tonight. I also added the pygmy corries and the assassins yesterday.

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

nice start, you might go with hydrocotyle tripantiata for the holes in the unzan stones

3. tenshu

tenshu New Member

That would be nice :)

4. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

it looks lovely the focal rock, wouldn't your diffuser be more effective if it was deeper?

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a great start, keep up the waterchanges, big and daily, this stage in any scape can be algae hell very easily.

And yes, Original, the diffuser would be better deeper, every tank tends to have a sweet spot with in tank diffusers that means the whole tank gets a mist all through the plants.

6. cjiejian

cjiejian New Member

nice scape!! keep us updated :D

7. Eboeagles

Eboeagles Aspiring Aquascaper

Amazing rocks! Going to watch this for sure...

8. zeldar

zeldar New Member

Thank you everyone for the comments! I appreciate them!

I do have some hydrocotyle that I am contemplating on putting in one of the pockets. I may just do that now that a couple people agree..

I can move the diffuser down if yall think it would help. I know the lower it it, the more time the co2 bubbles have to absorb into the water column, but didnt think a couple inches would be to big a deal. I did set it up where the outflow blows directly at the co2 diffuser so the micro bubbles get blown all around the tank. They definitly do not go straight to the water surface.
    ----
    Here are some pictures of the hydropiper. I know it doesn't look like there is much in there, but the entire front is planted. I had to bury most of it because the pygmy corries LOVE uprooting everthing. It all turned yellow which is to be expected since it was grown emmersed. I hope it will transition to submerged soon and send up some good new growth.

You can see I am getting the classic brown algae in the tank. Even following the daily water change plan, its getting pretty thick. The 2 Ottos aren't making much of a dent but I'll add around 6 Amano shrimp and they should do the trick.

I have pretty much decidied on a school of 20 Espei Rasbora for the tank. However, if someone has a last second idea, I could be swayed!

The HC and Rotala have done a little vertical growth. The HC was emmersed grown as well so its older leaves are turning a little yellow/brown as it transitions, but it continues to grow so I'm not too worried.

I am thinking there needs to be some hairgrass in this tank. Just a little bit between the rocks would look good I think. There needs to be something that has some height to it besides the rotala.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]