1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Critique My Aquascape' started by Chadly, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Chadly

Chadly New Member

[​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. hooha

hooha New Member

It's a great start for sure, nice planting arrangements. For a suggestion, I would look into some foreground plants in front of the driftwood to 'soften' the effect of the wood on the scape. The stems on the sides need to be kept in check too to prevent them from overtaking the scape and distracting from the 'centerpiece' of wood and plants - with some aggrassive trimming over time you can get a couple of nice mounds that will enhance the current design.

3. Chadly

Chadly New Member

right, I see what you are getting at. Trouble is... deciding which plant to use as a foreground. I was thinking hygro porto vehlo to wrap from right to left across in front of the crypts up the the front of the wood. The hydrocotyle might not fit in if I do that. I may have to re think that plant. Also possibly remove the crypt lucens (or willisii) on the front left corner and just empty that area. I could possibly replace the hydrocotyle with ammania bonzai mainly for texture.

The pic doesnt' really show the depth it has in real life either. once the stems in the back fill in, it may be more visible.

4. Chadly

Chadly New Member

anyone else?

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

toooooo big drift wood imo.
    or you have to plant the available space extremely strong to balance it out

6. saintly

saintly Aspiring Aquascaper

i think the wood would not be so imposing if you had a forground plant.glss IMO

the substrate colour is the same a the wood making the eye think that it is one.

nice attempt none the less

7. Chadly

Chadly New Member

Yes, the driftwood is big, broad and towers over the foreground. My intention was to be a little "different" and actually have a little hardscape still showing after the tank is matured. I fully intend on surrounding this wood with plants.

Background: The stem plants are growing well (more since this pic) which is starting to balance things out a little. Once the stargrass fills in I believe it'll look great. The other side has me scratching my head. The two plants sort of melt together.

Foreground: The glosso idea has crossed my mind many times and IMO would look great. It will brighten things up and frame the hardscape and the bronze wendtii. Look for some glosso in the future.

Mosses: I'm a moss geek so I'm planning for some more mosses in the gaps around the base of the wood above the crypts on the right. Probably spread out the fissidens a bit to add more texture...

The ferns are going to be the limiting factor in this scape. I believe they are possibly too slow growing for this, but I have patience.

Is there any more info you'd like about this scape that I haven't already given?

...still a work in progress. thanks for the comments. (more welcome)

8. Chadly

Chadly New Member

so... last night I did a trim, added some crypt lutea, some more weeping moss, and today I bought some glosso for the foreground. I'll probably have more pics up by monday.

9. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

I think the wood is too big also.
    Regardless of the plants and how they may effect the appearance of the wood, you have an undeniable loss of depth which is often a crucial element of a good scape design.
    I was proud of these two huge pieces of wood I bought for my 120 Gallon setup. I was certain they would be the grand centerpiece of the scape.
    I placed them in the middle of the tank and they basically created a wall of wood straight through the middle, left to right. The plants have been filling in and I finally decided to remove the giant piece of wood that was on the left side because something just seemed too "in your face" about the hardscape.
    The difference this made was HUGE.
    The waterflow is better, the fish seem to be happier, and most importantly the scape has a much more dramatic appearance simply because of the view from front to back that is now opened up. I am much happier now that I have tamed down the hardscape.

10. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

The wood is looking bit bigger as of now, but I would say this is fine. when you are going for glosso, let them over grown a bit taller. It will give a balance front of the wood.

11. Chadly

Chadly New Member

to remove the wood would be to destroy the scape. I believe the tank will be at least "acceptable" once mature... I chose this wood for it's dominating scale.

I altered a couple things this past weekend with the right side above the crypt wendtii, I think it adds depth and a little more detail to draw attention from the wood.

This tank has been setup for approximately 3 weeks now...

12. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Chadley I definitely thing the wood can work (I like the way it's positioned with it sloping upward to the center), but I think you have too many other varieties of plants in there. I would fill up the mid/foreground with more moss which will soften the wood as the moss grows and give it a more cohesive appearance within the tank. Here and there maybe have a few rocks poking out with some pieces of other plant species (maybe small crypts, etc.) I also wouldn't count on having the java fern as the main plant right behind the wood since it's slow growing and bruises. easily. You may want to stick something back there that can grow and fill in quicker. These small stanks it's hard to hold back, but they usually look better IMO simplier but fuller.

13. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

J House makes a good point on the plants.
    mosses on the wood up front and maybe some tall vals along the back that grow up and over towards the front a bit?
    The stem plants on the side should maybe be kept low or replaced with microsword or hairgrass?
    I don't know... you'll figure it out.

14. Chadly

Chadly New Member

Just an update, the glosso is in and starting to grow in. I hope to get some new pics up after the new year. Thanks you guys for your comments. I really need the suggestions/ideas to get me to think a little.

To J house, Al G. Begone,

I'm thinking the val idea might work. I'm having conflicts w/ the hygro bold on the left in the back. The color is too much like the lamicaea sp in front of it. I dont' want to get rid of the lamicaea just yet. I really wanted to use it in here for certain. I have some val nana that I wanted to put in this scape since the beginning, but they just didnt' seem to work at first. I also have some Italian vals that I could use but I'm not quite sure about that. .... I guess we'll see

-chad

15. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

If you can find some Mini Riccia and some small flat stones to cover the foreground area with mini riccia, I think it would work very well with this scape.

Less is more :)

Orlando

16. Chadly

Chadly New Member

update 1-19-09

I still have some changes to make. Some will be drastic and some will be slight...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Chadly

Chadly New Member

added 2x t5ho glo fixture and boosted the co2 and ferts up considerably. Still working on getting all that right so I can get some color out of my lamiaceae and the hygro bold. The ferns are lacking something and I was low on potassium for a while. I've been working on that too...

18. hazelceleste

hazelceleste New Member

I like this scape a lot. It looks like you took a small 1'x1' section of a pond, and moved it into a tank. The large driftwood does make the tank look kind of small, but I think that makes the tank look more like a close up photograph, as opposed to other scapes that look like a picture taken from far away.

What type of hydrocotyle is that in front of the wood? It looks a lot like the pennywort I have, except smaller.

19. Chadly

Chadly New Member

thanks for the comment.

there's hydrocotyl verticillata (short one) and hydrocotyl vulgaris (tall one)

20. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Although the wood was big it is now softened and integrated into the scape. That ended up coming together quite nicely. It holds my interest as well. Congrats!