1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

You know, my cat is insanely jealous of my fish.

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by myexplodingcat, Aug 19, 2014.

1. myexplodingcat

myexplodingcat New Member

And he's never been in a microwave or anything. I feel I should get that out of the way first; it's what most people tend to think of when they see this username. I've considered changing it, but my older brother came up with it when I was about six and wanted a username for Neopets that didn't have numbers in it, and I've been using it ever since. It refers to the way cats puff up when they're scared, or in the case of my cat Jake, when he's chasing something in his sleep. Seriously, he must be fighting a dragon or something in his dreams.

I should probably introduce myself, since that's what I came here to do.

My name's Rebekah. I'm 17 years old and an incoming freshman in college. I'm attending a community college for a few years while I do my Gen. Eds and get an Associate's in Programming so I can have a real job when I go off to a four-year.

I'm a self-described eclectic; I like to dabble in lots of different things. I'm taking a fresh crack at writing (rewriting) a steampunk novel I've put on hold for a while due to college-related busy stuff over the summer. I like listening to and sometimes inexpertly playing music; the instrument I'm least terrible at is the ukulele, and my listening tastes include Andrew Bird, Of Monsters And Men, Joanna Newsom, Aaron Espe, The Decemberists, Muse, and Steam Powered Giraffe. I like programming computers, obviously, since that's what I'll be studying in college. I also like making art, and my dA account is filled with... well, drawings of people's betta fish. I sometimes enjoy cooking, knitting, and the occasional video game. And fishkeeping, obviously.

You probably know me if you're on the forum bettafish.com, since I have an account there with the same username. I've always liked fish, but I've only been seriously keeping them since April. When I was about ten and had no idea how I was supposed to care for fish, I had a 5g tank with a pair of platies in it, but I sadly didn't take very good care of them, and eventually gave up because I could never get rid of the green dust algae on the sides of the tank, and kept forgetting to feed them.

Seven years later, I picked up a betta fish I named Felix and an Aqueon MiniBow 1, and am now absolutely addicted. I soon upgraded him to a 3g Kritter Keeper I'd given the NPT treatment, and took in a stressed rescue I put in the 1g. I had basically no idea what color he was going to turn, because he was completely gray except for red traces on the very edges of his fins. Now he's a full and vibrant red, and as I recently found out, very protective of his plants O.O

Simon doesn't know it yet, but he's a super lucky rescue fish. He's going in the 10g I'm setting up. It's going to be a heavily planted scape, so I'm hoping he'll tolerate a few roommates: namely, two or three same-sex platies and a small school of maybe eight dwarf rasboras. (If he's not okay with that, I'll try Felix in it instead--if Felix is cool there, Simon can have the 3g.) I'm planning on a 20g AquaClear filter and a 50w Hydor adjustable heater. That tank is my first serious aquascape, and most of the process that's left is buying stuff and then waiting.

Yep! That's me. I won't ramble any longer. Hoping to get to know you guys!

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

myexplodingcat

A big welcome to ASW I can see you have been busy posting a few replies than you.

Keith:):)

3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Rebekah, Welcome to ASW Nice introduction :cool: Looking forward to seeing your fish and tanks (y)

keithgh likes this.
  4. Glomeridae

Glomeridae Active Aquascaper

Hello and welcome to ASW!
    Very unusual introduction!

keithgh likes this.
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to ASW! Plenty here to help you make your new tank something special. I suggest starting a journal of your plans and share your progress. Don't be afraid to ask questions, it is the best way to avoid making the many mistakes of a beginner. We've already made them for you ;)

Enjoy and good luck!

PS. I find the only instrument I can play is the kazoo.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.