1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Yet another newbie.

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by reckoner, Sep 28, 2011.

1. reckoner

reckoner New Member

Hi all,

I'm just about to begin setting up my first tank after being inspired by those on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. There's some truly amazing aquariums on this forum!

I've ordered a 46L Fluval Edge which I'm planning to stock with Rummynose Tetra and maybe a couple of Corydoras or Otoclinus. I've got my mind set on a hardscape-only tank; white sand, blue stone and driftwood.

Cheers,
    Lee

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Hi Lee...

46L is not a lot of water to hold a shoal of rummy noses, corydoras and ottos.

I would change the rummy noses, use the dwarf corydoras, and add maybe two ottos, maybe even replace them with amano shrimp?

Instead of the rummy noses I would use ember tetras, or green neons. :)

3. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

hi lee, welcome to ASW :)

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

welcome to ASW.

5. reckoner

reckoner New Member

Hi Luis, Flo and Shadow :)

Thanks for your advice, I very much appreciate it :)

I'm unlikely to go with the corys and ottos. If I have either, it's more likely that I'll choose the latter (unless there's some reason I shouldn't, because I much prefer Otos aesthetically speaking).

I am speficially interested in the rummynose because, in my infinite newbieness, the few examples I've seen seemed to move more cohesively than the other tetras I've seen and additionally, I find them more aesthetically pleasing than most other tetras. I'm not a fan of the embers, but I'll settle for neons if the rummynose are unsuitable.

I was originally thinking of celestial pearl danios, but I have another tank in mind for them (I have four tanks in mind already and I haven't even received my first one yet!).

Once again, thanks a lot for your advice!

6. reckoner

reckoner New Member

Hi again,

I was at a local fish shop today picking out some rocks and driftwood for the tank and saw some ember tetras in the flesh for the first time. I've changed my mind on those, they look significantly better in the flesh than any of the photos I've seen on the internet, so I'm leaning towards getting those now.

The other thing is that I've been estimating my stocking levels based off the dimensions on the advertisement I saw for the fluval, which were completely wrong. I now see that I have a lot less room to play with than I originally thought (I ordered the tank online) and can see why rummys aren't a great idea.

Thanks again, Luis.