1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Yep another newbie

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Vertigo, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo New Member

As a newbie ( sort of ) to the planted/aquascape scene, I wanted to say hello to all as well as learn as much as possible.
    I feel it best I list my past aquaria experience as well as my future plans.
    I have had aquariums of 1 type or the other, on and off for going on 25 years.
    As of late I just broke down a new 150 gal reef ready tank with all the goodies. Wife's tank ( 17 gal mini reef) sprung a leak and we had to have all of the flooring re-done.

My past experience consisted of freshwater community tank's. Guppies, non aggressive cichlids and a few plants interspersed here and there.

That being said, I would like to use re purpose what I can from the reef tank and apply it to a semi planted community aquarium.

List of goodies I have and would like to use.
    3, Ecotech radion XR30 Led's.
    1, Neptune Apex controller.
    1, Ice Cap 36 ( 36 gal sump ) reef sump.
    1, reef Octapus Vario S 8 return pump.
    1, 100 GPD RODI system.
    2 Controllable power heads.

These are the things I would like to use as opposed to storing them for however long.
    I know that I am above the lighting requirements for freshwater but can suppliment the LED's with appropriate plant lighting if required.

Any and all help/input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Vertigo welcome to ASW

Is this the tank you are intending to use for new FW Aquascape? What are the measurements of that tank.

As your equipment is designed for a Marine tank it could be a bit too powerful for a FW tank, but if you can adjust them again it could be OK, every thing will depend on what fish and plants you intend to have in your tank.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Vertigo

Vertigo New Member

Thanks for the reply Keith.
    Yes, this is the tank I will be using for the aquascape.
    The dimensions are 60" x 24" x 24"
    The lights are controllable as far as brightness and coloration go. Not sure to what extent though as they were made for use in marine aquaria.

As far as what plants I intend to go with, I have no idea. Still researching that and the different substrates.

My plan is to go with relatively peaceful dwarf cichlids ( dwarf cockatoos, Kribensis, rams and the like) angels and tetras.
    I am looking for a harmonious balance as opposed to the main focus being strictly the aquascaping and vice versa.

Thanks for the quick reply.

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Vertigo

That is certainly a mix of fish you are considering. My suggestion would be run this program its easy to follow. Could you post the full report please, then it could be used as a very good guide for you.
    http://www.aqadvisor.com/

Keith:cat::cat:

5. Vertigo

Vertigo New Member

By eliminating the Cardinal Tertras, I have eliminated any aggression problems should the dwarf cichlids get to breeding.
    My filtration is listed as 200 Gal, as I would like to use my sump as opposed to a canister filter. All water disturbance areas can and will be air tight to eliminate off gassing of CO2.

I know the fish come from differing geographical areas but would like for the aquascaping to look as natural to their habitat as possible.

6. Vertigo

Vertigo New Member

Post count not high enough yet.

7. Vertigo

Vertigo New Member

1 more post before I can post a link.

8. Vertigo

Vertigo New Member