1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Ww2

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Paulzant, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Paulzant

Paulzant New Member

And here we are again i did overcome the Rhizoclonium. My cube is up now for almost 4 month. I now have small amounts of green spot algea. I also have BBA and to top it of staghorn also start to grow. Can anyone help me?

I think that my nano corner filter is to weak to create a good waterflow or do you guys think it should be good enough?

I also have some dirt in my substrate but it's not on top bur sinked in it. How do I clean that? should I buy a vacuum for my substrate? and do I just stick in in then and move around?

SETUP:

Nano Cube 30L
    Dennerle CO2 (now around 50mg/l)
    2 x Dennerle nano light 11w (8 hours)
    ADA Amazonia subtrate
    ADA Powersand
    Nano Filter

Ferts:
    ADA Brighty K and ADA Step 1 changed from step 1 to step 2 after 3 months

Water changes:
    twice a week 50% but stop it now for 1 week thought that that might help.

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

The dirt in the substrate is okay, as long as it's not getting blown into the water column and there is not too much of it. You can vacuum it up if you like to get rid of the excess nutrients, but it's not absolutely necessary.

The algae issue can be a result of low CO2. Try some doing some Seachem Excel or increasing your current CO2 out put to get rid of the algae. That has worked for me.

Greenspot algae is a tough one. Cutting down on the light can help until the tank has time to adjust (balance).

-John N.

3. Paulzant

Paulzant New Member

Thank a lot john. First will try to increase my CO2 output

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure in your last thread I mentioned you're using too much light? Lots of people are growing hc and other such hi light plants in 30cm cubes with a single 11w, why push the tank over the edge with two?

5. Paulzant

Paulzant New Member

Garuf thanks I always thought that one nano light wasn't enough. I have turned one of now and will see how it goes.

6. Garuf

Nope, those lights by dennerle are a lot more powerful than their diminutive size, especially if you're not using the cover glass. 11W is plenty till you have things under control, co2 is an issue here, phosphate may also be low, see james' guide and treat as advised.
    James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide

7. Paulzant

Paulzant New Member

And do you think the dennerle corner filter produces enough waterflow or should I buy an extern filter with lilly pipes?

8. Garuf

lilys aren't vital but are nice, I'd always advise in the way of an external for planted tanks, a HOB is also another option, ehiems liberty range are rather crude but cheap and reliable.