1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Would you like to help?

Discussion in 'ASW Announcements' started by John N., Jan 10, 2017.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

That's a good idea Zeus. I've been looking for an article system that presents more like an article than a thread.

I'm hoping to create a organized library of sort of user produced content/articles. Right now the forum software developers are in the process up doing a huge rehaul of the base software 1.0 to 2.0. So the "add-ons" also need to be created/updated, so I must wait until they do.

-John N.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Its been too far for me to remember my beginners days but I can assure every one if there was a mistake to be made I made it.
    No computers in those days a few very old library books and a few LFS who were only interested in your money.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Well the beginner guides I have been thinking of doing for some time, mainly because of the general lack of a good beginner guides

Nothing special, basic overview bit of science to back up reasons plus links to more detailed threads,journals, utube etc post a thread in relivent section, others may post other good refrances so the first post just takes a little update as neccasary and over a short period of time it might make 'sticky status' the initial post just gets the donkey work done, the rest just happens as wiser men chip in there ' 2 cents' worth in. Then before we know what's happen we have all produced the guide.

Well that was I had in mind, so the initial post would cover the whole thread, just saves the reading going though all the replies. Plus moderators could edit or add to the initial post as they see fit (take it for granted the mods here have those permissions?)

Then when good enough an article could be made from it, but still worth having as a sticky in relavent section IMO. I'm just Old School - I look for stickys in sections (y)

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. keithgh

Zeus

Beginners guides are always good and it can take many hrs to get it to a simple language that can be understood by the beginner. Then there is the concern will the "Beginner" read and understand it. Then there is the WWW its full of information and the "Beginner" is have likely to read that first also we all know its full of wrong information. Now the confusion starts our information has to convert them but its often too late.

I am knocking the idea at all its just over the years I have seen it many times. The guides must be simple and short otherwise the "Beginner" will not bother reading it.

Zeus likes this.
  5. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Idd

Short with enough detail can be difficult, the understanding of some theroys/facts isn't some folks strong points. I like to understand the detail because understanding it gives better control.

We skip through long threads at times then there will be a long post from someone on your list of folk who's posts are well worth reading, we stop and read there post carefully as they tend to be consistent in sound advise or witty with references to the matrix. We have learnt there's a little reward in there posts or just a confirmation of something.

We all jump in without reading the manual, but as soon as we hit problem we reach out for it and skip to the section we need. It may be utube or a friend we ask! There is no method that will help all. We all walk different paths. But a simple understood guide in the right section will help some. Plus when someone as an issue it's then just a quick point out to the person off a thread that's worth reading.

My wife will proof read it first as my grammar is poor, plus if she can follow it anyone can. Then I've already asked someone in the aquascaping world to give it read over best I post. So it should be ok.

Doing it also helps consolidate my understanding too. Got a good bit done on substrate and flow already on my iPad

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. keithgh

Zeus

Many never read instruction manuals until its too late. I just came across an international company selling Microwaves and believe it or not no manual at all never printed one.

Referring a member to reliable information is always very helpful.

Shane P. likes this.