1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Why do you partipate in Aquascaping Competitions?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Mar 24, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

In the future, I hope to have an Annual Aquascaping Competition here at ASW. I'm curious to know why folks participate in an aquascaping competition to begin with? Are you trying to win the prizes? Get feedback? Or something else?

-John N.

2. JDowns

JDowns New Member

Well thats obvious. The CHICKS!!!!!!!!:daydream:

3. George Farmer

George Farmer Aspiring Aquascaper

1. It's fascinating to see how others perceive your work, in terms of actual feedback and ranking. I'm also quite competitive, that I think adds extra motivation to 'perform'.

2. It's nice to take part in something that focuses on one of my passions. Seeing your aquascape physical alongside others is also very interesting and gives me a different perspective.

3. Contests make me want to get the aquascape into that 'perfect' state where all the plants are grown in/pruned appropriately. They give an added sense of purpose and end goal.

4. Another good excuse to get really into the photography aspect.

4. trenac

trenac New Member

John, I like the idea for a future aquascaping contest. :star:

I've never enter an aquascaping contest before, but have thought about it many times. If I do it would be mainly for the judges feedback. However, I would also like to see how I stack up against others in the scaping realm.

5. John N.

I've never thought of Aquascaping Contest serving this purpose. In retrospect having a plan to enter a contest would motivate me too to watch and develop my aquascape more.

Yup, it's in the plans for the site. What's an aquascaping forum/site without a Aquascaping Contest? :)

Sometimes the comments I've read from judges feedback is often repetitive, and can be generic. I'm not saying all comments are like that, but I think when faced with over 100 aquascapes the quality of the comments can dwindle from entry to entry.

-John N.

6. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

Great idea John...

For me, like George, I too want to see other scape next to mine to compare and learn. I also respect the judges comments and I realize that it is really subjective. I think the judging formula that ADA uses really defines the best of the best. Rather than having three to four people deciding what tank wins. Everyone has a different view or opinion of a specific tank. Some people prefer the nature aquarium look as compared to a dutch style tank, or vise versus.

I enter the ADA competition only in hopes of getting into the book. I often use the book for inspiration for my our projects. Also it's nice to have one of my own creation in the same book as some of the greatest aquascapers in the world.

7. ERiK

ERiK New Member

I've never entered any aquascaping competitions, but I plan on entering from now on. I really want to find out how good I am!
    I don't get a whole lot of feedback living in Utah as there really aren't very many people into plants, and I'm one of the most experienced 'scapers.

8. brams

brams New Member

Ofcourse it is the feedback that gives the biggest motivasion but also I think its a very good inspirationsource to look at others scapes. You get them all at the same time at the same website and get alot of ideas fast. So it i your duty (if you agree whit me) to join and share your work!
    Im looking forward to see ya all in a competition here.

9. Edis

Edis Moderator Staff Member

These four are very spot on especially number 3 must drive you to another level. A contest is like an engine to the hobby development. Imagine what would be the level now if the mojor contests and the contests in general wouldnt exist.

As a heavy watcher of adas agas photos as a source of inspiration technique and technical data i would like to double brams thoughts. If you have skill to produce an artwork you are obliged to share it with a society :113: Art belongs to the people :ehhh::ehhh::ehhh:

10. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Why partipate in Aquascaping Competitions?
    A chance to win something?
    For me because it's fun. It has it's share of drama, especially in the last three years.

For those who take competitions a bit too seriously, lighten up, in any competition there'll be cheats and those who stretch the rules.

11. Xavier

Xavier ASW Sponsor

I guess for the same reason that many people enter other competitions in something they're good at:

A measure of skill, something to work towards, etc.

I mean, there is a bit of a cool factor to breaking in high enough to get a direct critique from Amano on your scape. But a lot of it is competitive spirit and like previously mentioned, it gives you something more to work towards.

12. Enrico Serena

Enrico Serena New Member

For me:

- Understand how the people see and feel your art in a way very different from your.
    - Confrontation with the masters is the best way to improve.
    - A never ending source of inspiration for future works.

Ciao

13. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

I have had the fortune to go to the last two IAPLC party/presentations in Japan, and my conclusion has been: The best part of these contests is getting to meet the people behind them.

Competing is all well and good, but when you have hundreds of participants, it really is unreasonable to actually come to good gradings of them all. The aquariums themselves are often the least interesting part of the actual event.

However, doing contests inspires people to get involved and brings the community together on a much more active level.

Let's face it, the people who Grand Prize the IAPLC aren't making a living by aquascaping-- but that doesn't stop the event from being extremely awesome.

14. Enrico Serena

Enrico Serena New Member

I was lucky to attend last year Nature Aquarium Party too.
    It was, for me, really great and emotional.
    The problem is: travelling to Japan from Italy is not a joke...
    Was it once in a lifetime or will I be able to do it again?
    Anyway I agree with you Steven, "human" part of aquascaping is, by itself, a good reason to attend a Contest.

Ciao

Ciao

15. John N.

One of the things not highly focused in this discussion is "THE PRIZE".

To me that is a VERY refreshing and what makes the aquascaping hobby stand out from so many other competitive competitions. Aquascapers are in it for the recognition.

-John N.

16. George Farmer

George Farmer Aspiring Aquascaper

Very true. I guess that same can be said for most artists.

17. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

18. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

'AAAh come on!'...Chicks really dig guys with big tanks and lots of cash to spend on things like...like inline pressurized CO2 high tech diffusions systems coupled with external 400watt streamline satin black heating units...There is nothing more appealing to a smokin' hot woman then a guy spotted across a crowded bar carrying a pristiene 10gal ADA aqua-cube under one arm and 10lb co2-gas tank fitted with a new RedSea regulater in the other....(aahh--moisture).

19. ghostmonk

ghostmonk Aspiring Aquascaper

Very true. The physical money is far less than the recognition of your creativity.