1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Which shrimp to buy? help please =)

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Original, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

I got 6 cherries, within 2 weeks all but two died. By the 3rd week. All gone.

I watched some die, they were just kicking around on their back as if they were shedding. Although when I came back a few hours later they were half eaten!

I don't know what I've gone wrong with to be honest. I have a feeling it may be the introduction of root tabs? I did ask the vendor if they contained copper and were invert friendly and he said they do contain trace but it should be safe.

Who knows? its been a few weeks on and I'm considering testing the water with some Amano's to see if they fare any better. I do want shrimp rather than algae eating fish in this tank.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

shouldn't have been the root tabs...the small amounts of copper in ferts won't harm them unless grossly over dosed.

ammonia most likely culprit, or fish picking at them.

3. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

I have been doing regular water changes and with a small stock of 6 rummy nose tetras and inert substrate I didn't expect any ammonia? the fish would nip when cherries were swimming by though.

I have introduced 3 amano's to see how they do. day 2 so far so good they are a lot more active than the cherries and hold their own against the tetras. I have a feeling they are going to do well.