1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Which shrimp to buy? help please =)

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Original, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

Right in the next couple weeks I'm re-scaping a low light 15g tank, I'm making an iwagumi style layout with driftwood and riccia fluitans carpet. I need help choosing which shrimp to buy, I've never kept shrimp before but would like some to nibble algae off the riccia now and again.

I know amano's are the best algae eaters but after reading this thread on the forum http://www.aquascapingworld.com/for...tank-discussions/5571-amano-shrimp-riccia.html It's swayed me off the amano shrimp with this setup.

So I don't have much knowledge of shrimp species and I'm going to have to do a lot of research but what would you guys recommend? I'm thinking along the lines of cherry shrimp, bee shrimp, tiger shrimp? I don't now which one to purchase.

Another important factor. I want Rummy's, I know they'll massacre baby shrimps, but how will adults fare?

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Since you do not have much experience I would recommend a color morph within the cherry shrimp line. They are hardier than crystal shrimp and tiger shrimp.

I personally like the Fire Reds for their bold bright solid red color. Blue pearls look more pearl than blue to me in person. Maybe it was just the group I received. I've seen pictures with more blue tones. There is a yellow variety available as well and looks to be quite bold, but I have not seen this variety in person.

I like to get shrimp that will breed in freshwater. Currently I keep Fire Reds and Orange Eyed blue tigers together because they won't hybridize. I also have blue pearls in an ADA 30-C with some emerald dwarf rasboras.

My cardinal tetras and electric blue rams will murder any cherry shrimp they get a hold of...some of my cardinals are as big as the blue rams. So I keep a breeding population in another tank to ensure I have a healthy number. The nice thing about cherry shrimp is it tends to be a one time investment if you are good with them. I recommend introducing another blood line of the same color morph after a period of time to ensure healthy genetics.

You can occasionally get odd color mutations. Right now I have two or more fire reds that have more of an orange yellow coloring than red.

Tiger shrimp are bigger than cherries and do not get eaten by my cardinals or blue rams, same for the amanos. I really like orange eyed blue tigers, but they are expensive and more difficult than cherry shrimp. I have not had the best success breeding them, but suspect that I may not have a male with the low number I purchased. (they are harder to sex than cherry shrimp)

I kind of rambled off a bunch of stuff, but I hope it was helpful.

3. Original

Its okay I'm learning, so do you think rummy nose tetras will kill adult cherry shrimps? I don't know if this is a bad idea or not. I would go for amano's but I don't want them harming the riccia carpet im going to mesh up shortly...

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

5. Original

Thanks Keith that website is very helpful,

Still, I don't know whether I should buy say tiger shrimp as they are larger I don't want things being attacked my rummy tetras. Or whether I should forget the idea of shrimp and buy otto's, or forget the idea of the rummy noses and buy something smaller like micro rasboras or ember tetras or something less likely to eat shrimp. decisions decisons!

6. ShadowMac

you may have to make a choice between fish and shrimp here. I haven't kept rummies with shrimp so I don't know how they behave with them.

I have seen that once a fish figures out it likes the taste of little shrimp they will tear them apart. When I see a group of cardinals and rams surrounding an area in my tank I know its because they found an unfortunate shrimp and are busy ripping it apart, bit by bit.

7. Original

I know what you mean shadow, like miniature piranhas once one has a go they all frenzy. I saw some glass shrimp at the LFS, once I get these rummies settled in and this riccia lawn growing I think I'll introduce some and see how they do. They aren't too expensive.

8. ShadowMac

the size of the shrimp helps, thats why amanos do fine. Some of my amanos are bigger than some of the smaller cardinals and as big as the bigger ones.

I also wonder if its color. The bright red fire shrimp don't exactly blend in and may evoke a different response. With my breeding tank I can have enough of them in there that they serve their purpose and I don't freak out at the fish's $5 snack.

good luck. I would choose fish over shrimp, most shrimp hide with fish around anyways. you won't see them unless you really look.

9. Original

I've got 9 rummies, I got store credit and a part exchange which I didn't expect. They've been in the tank since yesterday but don't look too happy or settled yet, their noses aren't too bright and they have been hiding most of the time. I'm hoping they'll adjust soon enough.

This was probably my fault, last week i removed an ugly juwel corner filter and replaced it with an external, it hasn't had very long at all to cycle but I though I would get away with it. Maybe not :/

I've got my riccia meshed and sat at the bottom, currently on just 1wpg standard hood but I've got a 3wpg overhead about o be dispatched so I'm hoping this riccia bushes out - I know this is gonna be a pain in the ass to maintain but beauty is! lol

About the shrimps, I'm thinking amano's, they aren't too distracting. Will these eat my riccia like no tomorrow though? I like how red bee's look almost marine-like, I may get some of those. I really don't know.

10. JJD

JJD New Member

I have done the same experiment in my tank with the glass shrimp. I have serpea tetra and was wondering if they would eat up shrimp so I bought 6 glass . I still have them one week later so I think this is my answer.. give it a try , there real cheap .

11. gaberosenfield

gaberosenfield New Member

Tetras and CRS

I have had a dozen neon tetras, a couple ottos, two Amanos, and about a dozen cherries in the same 20 gal planted tank for 8 or 9 months now, and they seem to get along fine. I added the cherries first, and they began to breed, but since I added the neons I have seen very few new shrimp and very few berried females. I presume the shrimp feel to threatened to breed or something, and any babies that are produced are instantly eaten. If neons will prevent CRS population growth, then any tetra will.

More recently I have added two serpae tetras to the tank. They don't seem to bother the adult shrimp at all, even though they pick on the weaker neons. I guess my point is that as long as everyone is well fed and you don't care whether the shrimp breed, you can keep small tetras with adult RCS.

12. triscene

triscene New Member

similar case...

my gf has rummy tetras and has no issues with keeping them with neocaridina shrimp

depends probably on the character of the fish but i keep my amano and neocaridina with neons and they are ok.

more interest in shrimp babies i saw in my 38L tank where i have boraras but they just bite baby shrimp and it wasnt their piece of cake and nothing happened to the baby. just having lot of CBS and CRS around 0.5cm in my tank.

13. ShadowMac

neons are quite a bit smaller than cardinals, and i'm fairly certain they are a bit smaller than rummy nose which would explain why they do not pester shrimp as much

14. Original

Anyone had experience with amano shrimps and riccia? I just want to know if they will make a mess of it by ripping parts off constantly I'm still undecided. LFS has some black bee shrimps, juveniles, I don't know quite how distinct their color will be but they are selling cheap.

15. ShadowMac

Amano's will eat the riccia. How much may depend on how many shrimp you have and how well they are fed with other things.

16. JJD

JJD New Member

This may be a stupid question. Is there some type of tank size to shrimp quantity ratio? Never heard anyone mention somebody having to many shrimp in there tank so I was just wondering how many are an effective amount and when it becomes a crowd?

17. ShadowMac

I suppose it depends, but if you want to make sure your algae crew is crushing anything that may pop up then I shoot for 2-3 per gallon.

I get a bunch of amanos 1 per gallon and let the rest be cherry shrimp who will multiply to get you a good number of shrimp.

18. JJD

JJD New Member

thanks.

19. Original

I got Red Cherry's, I was waiting for some Red Chrystal's but I hadn't came across any in the LFS so settled for the RCS which I spotted. I have only 6 at the moment but planning on getting some more. Sole purpose is to clean my riccia-scape from any algae managing to survive.

Some are less colorful than others, is this just quality? they all seem fully grown adult shrimp. Think they'll brighten up? I thought maybe they'd recently shed or maybe just different bloodline and they're gonna stay the same.

20. gamma

gamma Guest

Hi!

Maybe a lack of quality, but most time the males are not as colorfull as the females.
    Are you sure which is which?

Not that you pick out the colorless males and have only females.

cheers
    Eva