1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

whhy why why.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by vanscheck, Mar 28, 2011.

1. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

some kind of hair algae growing on everything from my anubias to my egeria densa and cabomba. even my micro sword has algae.

2. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

what kind of algae is that? Please post info on your tank setup.

3. Topsy

Topsy New Member

A daily dose of Aqua carbon removes hair algae in about a week as i had this problem too in my old tank.

4. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Hi,

Write all your setup here, light hours and so on so that people here can help you.
    Do you have water test results?

5. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Does it look anything like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those pictures were from my fight with hair algae.

[​IMG]

This was the end result of that fierce battle.

And this is what my tank looks like. I moved some things around, but it is essentially the same tank.

[​IMG]

Post your tank setup and we can help a bit more.

6. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

@ dabrits, no it doesn't look like that it's a bit shorter but it grows everywhere. on my thermometer,leaves, glass it really sucks. tank specs are
    tank 40 liters
    lights 45w t8 (8hrs)
    co2 DIY
    substrate JBL manado and aquabasis
    no ferts yet still waiting for it to arrive.

7. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Hi,

This should be at least a part of your problem. 45w to 40 liters its too much light with no ferts...

8. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Those first two pictures are of when it first started. Eventually the hair started to grow everywhere, substrate, filter, rocks, heater, plants, glass.

I would cut down your light to at most about three hours until you get your ferts. Once you have your ferts, I would try to slowly increase the amount of light as well as the amount of CO2. Even if it is DIY CO2, try to increase it.

Remember: Light--->CO2--->Ferts, in that order. Control how much light you inject, then use an accompanying amount of CO2 to match the light, and then dose your ferts accordingly.

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

To add, or refine, what you said Dabrits. Light is the easiest variable to control here, so reducing the light can help with issues related to lack of CO2 (or rather an insufficient amount for the amount of light) generated from a DIY setup and a lack of ferts.

Even with ample CO2 you can run into troubles without ferts.

So, if we look at the issue: DIY CO2 probably isn't going to allow for much manipulation and is inconsistant at best, no ferts mean your plants can't grow well anyways. Add to that too much light that is saying !GROW! and the only thing you end up growing is the algae which can take advantage of the circumstances that are limiting the plants.

In short, reduce your light or up your CO2(which means upgrading from DIY) and add ample ferts.

Seachem excel could probably help.

I'm not a big fan of shorter light periods. Plants take a little while to get going and short light cycles may shut down their energy before they reach peak photosynthesis. You should look at either raising your light from the surface of the tank or using less wattage/bulbs. Ideally the second option.

Lecuna likes this.