1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Where have all the hedgerows gone - 30 litre Opti-white

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Supercoley1, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Specs:
    30 litre Opti-white aquarium (L 40cm, H 30cm, D 30cm)
    Fluval U1 Internal filter
    BeamsWork 9 x 1W LED Clip on luminaire (2 hours morning, 5 hours evening)
    No heater or filter

Fertilisation 1.5ml Lush Max weekly
    Plants: Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo', Ammania Bonsoi, Staurogyne Repens, Microsorum Pteropus 'Narrow'.
    Substrate: Akadama
    Hardscape - Manzanita & Mopani scraps. Granite stones.

Livestock - 9 x Danio Margaritatus (Celestial Pearl Danio / Galaxy Rasbora) and 100s of Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina Davidii 'Red)

A bit of a break from my normal journals where I develop the ideas and plan an aquascape before showing setup pictures and then into the growth stages.

This scape was a birthday present to my Son 6 months ago for his 9th birthday. Basically it is just scraps of hardscape that I had on hand and plants/cuttings from other scapes that I have going. He is still at the watching stage at the moment and I do the maintenance but I was happy to oblige when he said he wanted a 'fish tank' and we can't just have a 'fish tank' in our house can we. It has to be an aquascape.

At the beginning I set the hardscape in and then laid Narrow fern on some flat Mopani pieces at the back, poked some Staurogyne Repens and Ammania Bonsoi in around the stones/wood and then laid Monte Carlo cuttings all over the empty substrate.

It went through a 6 week DSM period hidden in a cupboard before putting it in his bedroom on his birthday while he was at school.

The photoperiod is split so that it comes on at 7am and goes off at 9am so he can view it in the morning before school and it then comes on 3pm until 8pm in the evenings.

This is an ultra low maintenance setup. I don't do anything to it between fortnightly cleanings and that is just wiping glass and squeezing the filter sponges. I leave the central outcrop to gain some height over time.

The name derives from the first thought I had when I filled it up. It reminded me of those little patches in the middle of farmer's fields that used to be part of a hedgerow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

derfliw, Cip and greenfinger 2 like this.
  2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

It's nice to see you back. I'm sure we can all learn something form this setup... It looks great!

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

That is what I would call an excellent KIS and Les is More Aquascape.

Its simple and basic yet it extremely pleasant to sit back and admire.

This is something all beginners to Aquascaping should think about.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I will be back properly soon. I have 5 years worth of unfinished projects that I finished in the last 6 months. I tend to use the internet to motivate myself on all projects. I start it and immediately post on forums about it whether it be a tiling forum for a bathroom project or an AV forum for my media setup. That way I get feedback and back patting to spur me on. Problem was money and motivation like with the aquascaping went downhill and my wife's methods of motivation (moaning continually) are not the best to spur me on so we lived in a relatively derelict house (in comparison to most people's modern showhomes) for a few years.

Now I am catching up with all those project journals which include a kitchen makeover, a new bathroom from scratch with fully tiled walls and floor etc. Whole new lounge from a bare room to a showhome with proper media centre (I love music, wife loves films etc) rebuilding the stairs (bullnoses were all worn away) and carpeting it. Whole new water closet refit (was an old style toilet in a cupboard before.) I started dabbling in mechanical watch repair, I built a telecaster from scratch (was my old mahogany fire mantelpiece.) I reshaped and refinished my Ibanez bass guitar. There are more projects. lol. I have learnt not to start so many now and just do one at a time.

So once I'm up to date on my website and the multiple project journals so I can receive my required back patting I will have time to stop focusing on myself and get back to aquascaping and other people's exploits :)

A lot of my motivation problems with aquascaping has been my failure to complete other projects and the nagging that gets along with a personal sense of failure has carried over to the aquascaping and other hobbies I have. Completing all those projects has been a sense of relief and getting to show off the completed jobs has brought my mood up a notch to the point that I am very very driven again :)

That was the intention. I knew he wouldn't be paying much more attention than just watching and feeding so I didn't want to add yet more to my workload. It is an introduction to the hobby for him to try and peak his interest.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    derfliw likes this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Supercoley1

I know the feeling very well

I have just had a big kitchen fire 1.1.16 every thing was a mess four cleaners for five days, then the builders start at least another week, finally the cleaners back again for a final clean up including steam cleaning all the carpets, last will be the dry cleaners returning all the drapes and curtains plus a lot of extras that required dry cleaning.

Keith:cat::cat:

derfliw and Supercoley1 like this.