1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Where do you see aquascaping going?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Apr 30, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

There have been major achievements in our hobby over the years. Thanks to the internet, the hobby has boomed and has allowed us to share ideas, different aquascaping styles, and even aquatic plants over the confines of our regional borders. Some key milestones in our hobby are based on the invention of new equipment/technology while others are moments of aquascaping inspiration that we have all tried to emulate ever since.

Where do you see aquascaping and the planted tank hobby going in the next 5 to 10 years? To help spark the discussion, here are some key highlights in our hobby's history (in general).

1970s
    *Incandescent Bulbs and sunlight were the popular means of a light source

1980s
    * Dutch Tanks become more accessible
    * Normal flourescent bulbs widely used
    * Soil based substrates
    * Substrate heaters

1990s
    * Planted aquarium scene launches over the internet through email message boards
    * Takashi Amano and his Nature Style become the main stay of aquascaping styles.
    * Pressurized CO2 introduced.
    * Internal/External CO2 Reactors popular.
    * Internet stores began making aquatic plants available regionally.

2000s
    * Estimative Index Fertilization Method becomes well known.
    * Perpetual Preseveration System (PPS-Pro) Fertilization method becomes easier to use and increases in popularity.
    * Glass diffusers popular.
    * New liquid fertilizer products and alternatives.
    * Aquascaping competitons across the internet give inspiration to all.
    * Shrimp and other inverts are readily available and popular.

Can you see the future? Where is our aquascaping and planted aquarium hobby headed? :plane:

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

small plasma bulbs commonly available to light up tanks, no matter the size, creating a full spectrum beam

3. zeneo

zeneo New Member

like fishman9809 I think that in the next years the changes will came mainly from better and cheaper technical equipment and therefore more available.

-Controllers
    -liquid dosers
    -permanent tests for every thing

As the companies compete more between themselves more studies will be made, and other way of fertilizing solutions will appear. algae control etc.

In Aquascaping, the glass box and the materials used I don't think it will change so much.

4. trenac

trenac New Member

I definitely see more advancements/improvement in the equipment side of the hobby. Just like in the last year or two we have seen the introduction of the Solaris lighting system & Fluval FX5 canister filter. I think these things will become more technologically advanced over the years. Especially in the bulbs themselves. Check this out... The lightbulb of the future? | Videos on ZDNet

5. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

thats wat I was talking about, lol :)

6. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

More advanced lighting and equipment.

7. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

I think keeping nano & pico tanks has also become very popular. It is a great challenge and constant care must be given to keep these small tanks thriving. I would like to see more affordable rimless glass nano tanks of different sizes available. I would also like to see advances in the sizes of appropriate lighting. For example~ T-5 lighting is becoming more popular with hobbiests. The color is crisp, the heat is low compared to their pc counterparts, and plants do very well with them. But the sizes of bulbs available are often shorter or longer than the tank they are used on. I don't feel LED lighting for aquariums has advanced enough yet, and the prices are outrageous. I would also like to see more quality workmanship with respect to equipment. Why is it that only certain countries like Germany are on the top of the list for well made components? In 2007 there were 1142 entries from 50 countries into the International Aquatic Layout Contest. Some countries had 1 entry! The U.S. had only 47 entries, compared to Japan which had the majority at 404.

8. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

I see that europe will develope more into the international scene with some of the strong scapers there is, and the asian majority will slowly disappear.

ADA will become more international, with more and cheaper products, due to strong competion from Holland, Germany with some national brands moving into their area with cheap low quality glassware knockoffs from asia. (Like Denerle has done).

On genre `? Who knows.

9. John N.

I can't wait to see more products and knocks off products catering to our hobby. I'm tired of going to a fish store in the US and finding half a shelf dedicated to planted aquarium supplies. The internet makes things widely available, but it's always nice to see the products in person eithered on the shelves or demostrated on the store floor.

It's interesting that genre wise it doesn't seem like there can be a move to a new style. I'm constantly waiting for that next aquascaping style to take over. But alias, with the current styles and looks it seems that maybe aquascaping has reached a long plateau for a while. I think back to Saltwater Reef aquariums, and over the years not much has changed in their style of scaping, so maybe planted aquariums are at the same place.

-John N.

10. Mellonman

Mellonman New Member

Is this what you think or what you hope ? ;)

I wish you were right....
    No doubt ADA goods are high quality, but their prices in Europe are insane ! :ehhh:

11. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

I must respectfully disagree here. Years ago the 'standard' scape of a marine aquarium was what we like to call "The Fruit Stand Look"~ a pile of rocks with corals. Have you looked lately? Much more open and interesting scapes now, less rock, very interesting scapes. Definately a big challenge when you are working with LR, which can be like a puzzle. Getting it stable so it doesn't collapse can be very tough indeed.

12. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

Id like to see aquascapes on a more massive size scale. I mean huge, like a Sea World size tank all jungle looking with a guy swimming around cleaning algae in scuba gear.
    Ive always wanted to see something bigger than 700 or 1000G.

13. fishman9809

fishman9809 New Member

lol, yea, that would be awesome!!!!!

14. BryceM

BryceM New Member

As far as "new styles"? Who cares. As long as I like it doesn't really matter how anyone else labels it.

I'd like to imagine FW planted 'scaping getting to the point that the general public can walk into an office, hospital, or restaurant, see a beautiful setup, and appreciate what they're looking at. I'd also like to see "plant ignorance" fade away at local LFS's where so many new people go looking for advice.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people see my tanks and ask "Is that saltwater????" Where I live most people still see a "fish tank" as a disgusting slimey bowl with a half-dozen most unfortunate goldfish (from the carnival) crammed inside.

15. Dan Pellegrini

Dan Pellegrini New Member

^ I get the same "is that saltwater" comments often as well. On the whole, I would like to see this hobby grow to rival Asia - right now it is still quite frustrating trying to find quality equipment and interesting plants at reasonable prices. I think there are a lot of potential converts in the high-tech Reef keeping hobby, many have never seen a nice planted FW tank and they may bring some new ideas in.

I also agree auto-dosing, auto-water change systems, etc will be the next wave of standard equipment (or perhaps just hoping).

Style-wise I am not really sure where you can go - different things will surely come in and out of style. Seems like the white sandy fronts are turning to more gravely looking sand, perhaps black sand fronts will find more acceptance in the near future? All it takes is a new Japanese name that means "place rocks in black sand" and bingo, a new style would be born.

In terms of huge shifts of interest, from Dutch to Nature to ??? - I suspect that will see some more artistic talent move into the fringes of the hobby, i.e. Biotopes, Palundariums, Fast Flowing River Tanks, etc... and we may well see the next big thing come from there.

16. John N.

I hear you Bryce. At somepoint, planted aquariums in the US will become common place just like they are in Asia. From my conversations with some of the asian aquascapers, and my friends who toured around Toyko, Japan they say you would see planted aquariums in eateries and hotel lobbys. As more and more US fish stores take in aquatic plants, and setup display tanks, maybe one day more of the masses will be inspired to go green. :)

I do respectfully disagree with you on the importance of new styles. I believe new styles and their labels provide a direction/purpose for aquascapers. Like Amano did with the Japanese style by branding it "Nature Aquarium" people all over the world have strived to make something like this scaping style. Maybe a new style will appear and have a strong selling point (in terms of style) that will strike new innovation and purpose for aquascapers who have felt they've done enough Nature, Dutch, or mix styles of aquascaping.

-John N.

17. Fikus

Fikus New Member

I completely agree with John. No doubt that some new styles will appear soon or a later... Also, scientific development will automatically effect to all kinds of tanks, as well as FW planted.

Therefore, I expect that a lot of new chemical compounds will facilitate appreciable plant growth against algae in AQ, there will be a lot of more available lighting that do the same, etc...

After all, at one point, Aquascaping will be much more artistic skill than the simple fact that you have all of needed things (such as lighting, equipment and water conditioners, soils, ferts, etc, excluding necessary knowledge) in order to make a part of beauty under the water.

IMO, personally think that it's to early to claim that the Aquascaping is some kind of art so far...

Regards,

Filip Todorovic - Fikus

18. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Aquatic plant world domination, they will take over the world!(Think Pinky and the Brain).

That's all I ask.

If it looks good, it is good.
    I really do not see much as far as designs, rather, the materials used in them.
    Rocks, wood, natural elements, perhaps some not so natural elements here and there.

Better lighting
    Better CO2 measurement
    Better overall understanding about integrating all the elements that help plants grow.
    Better focus on goals, rather than you need to add CO2, or assuming everyone has the same goal and should have the same method.
    Better focus(I hope) on test methods and deductive reasoning.
    Reduced cost for all these.
    More popularity.

As far as contest, I've never liked photos for judging and I will never judge a tank from a photo.

So, with Youtube abd Mpeg's, video contest are far more appropriate and show the fish interactions, the flow patterns, less able to manipulate the images(but still quite possible to do).

Short of being there live, this, not photo's alone, should be the standard for judgment. You get a lot more information to base your decision about a tank this way.

This will mark a large shift in what is actually judges and showed to many folks.

Another interesting side note, as environments are degraded, we may end up helping to preserve many aquatic plant species much like zoos.
    Design wise, well, folks have infinite creative potential, and using marine plants would be the logical next step, however, very poor horticulture abilities are an issue for most. Adding to this, lack of knowledge of the plants/macros, lack of plant availability, FW vs marine judgment (virtually every contest held excludes marine plants).

There are many new things ahead.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

19. BryceM

BryceM New Member

I second this!!! Traditional Dutch-style judging involved a personal visit by the judges to the aquarium's location. In Holland I suppose this was fairly easy. It's a pretty small place after all. They focused not only on the tank's photogenecity, but also the appropriateness of the environment for the fish, the way the aquarium would complement its surroundings, and the actual look of the setup in "real-time", not during some fleeting moment of perfection at a remote date under unnatural photographic lighting conditions, and certainly without the artificial hairdryer-ripple effect. It's too easy to be tricky with a single photograph, and too hard for the average person to display their work to its best photographic advantage. You can argue that a well-trained judge will look past the quality of the photograph, but all recent contest winners that I've seen have had beautiful, professional-quality photos.

20. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

Another great thread John.

I would include canister filters in the 90's, they really have helped a lot.

IMO there are two different concepts here, What do I think it's going to be headed and What do I want.

What do I think ?

Equiment, lighting, filtration and Co2 diffusion technologies will develop.

Algae. Fertilizers will be better and more helpful to combat algae or there will be a new method to have algae free tanks.

Style, maybe in the contest the winners will be the ones that can recreate a natural scape better, comparing the tank to a pic of the scape perhaps.

What do I want ? (In Latin America)

Planted tanks become more popular. At least in Mexico most hobbyist favors fish tanks.

The availability of products increases, as well as on-line stores (overseas shipping costs are budget killers for us Latin American people).

The prices of some products become more afordable to the general public (it's insane to pay up to 35 US dollars for a bag of Fluorite, not to mention good quality canister filters)

Fish dealers import and offer more variety for planted tank hobbyists.

Have more diversity of plants, stones and wood, it's a crucial point.

Best Regards