1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

when i must clean the filter?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Jape, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jape

Jape New Member

i've set up my tank almost one month ago, and i've already changed the water three times, when do you think i'd clean the filter?
    cheers to all mates will answer me...

p.s
    a friend of mine told me to waiting for a while to clean the filter, cause all the bacterias are inside

2. Mojojojo

Mojojojo Aspiring Aquascaper

It depends on what type of filter you have. The filters with different levels of media in usually have a pad that needs to be changed weekly. Mine does anyway :)

3. Jape

Jape New Member

cheers mate...i guess mine needs to be changed every four weeks...i mean...the matter is if i should change it or waiting for a while...

4. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Aspiring Aquascaper

Good filter maintenance is the way to keep the tank algae free also, so at least once a month, but as mentioned depends on the type of filter.

5. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

I open mine once a month to look for small cory's, they usually grow there, but will only clean it when the flow stops. :)

Changing water, great, as often as possible. Cleaning the filter? When the flow stops, or seriously decreases.

6. Jape

Jape New Member

cheers mate to your tip

7. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I like to religiously clean mine every 4th week. That way you've not much accumulated mulm and the filter will be easier to clean, I've also read it's more likely to leave you with a stable tank.
    If the flow has noticeable declined you're almost certainly going to have a filter dirty enough and a flow low enough to encourage algae.

8. lordodrag86

lordodrag86 New Member

I usually clean my filter once a month with treated water(no chlorine or cholormine), so that the bacteria stay alive. I also just cleaned out my outtake filter tubes to get rid of the gunk that's been building up.

9. Justindhill

Justindhill New Member

OK,

I am hearing about filters. I am under the impression that a filter is really not needed for a Dutch style aquarium since the plants eat fish byproduct and the fish eat plant byproduct. I have read that there is a need for flow of water though. Can somebody please explain why a filter would be needed for other than flowing the water in a plant based aquarium? I thought that the tank I am going to be working on is basically a small eco-system and all elements that are thought out will work for each other? Thanks ahead of time!

10. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

No filter would be fine in an aquarium with a very low fish load. Depending on how big your tank is, it looks about like a 55 gallon from your picture. You need enough fish to fertilize your plants but not so much that it will fowl your water. I'd say no more than 15 fish of the tetra size. I have always ran a filter and always will just because i like to have alot of different fish and in big numbers. I have a 150 gallon planted tank with 8 discus 20 tetras 10 blue rams and a few oto catfish. I use a fluval fx5 filter and just added another one tonight. I know this filter is good for a 400 gallon aquarium, and now i have 2 on a 150 gallon. Guess i'm a bit of a filter freak.

11. Justindhill

Justindhill New Member

Thanks Gavinsons,

Precisely, the tank I am planning will have very few fish. I am looking more for a planted tank with a little moving eye candy. My tank is a 40gl by the way :)

12. Garuf

Incorrect, this is a very old and out of date opinion a dutch aquascape is an aesethetic style, what you describe is a zero water change, no tech, or low tech tank. Yes some tanks don't need filters diana walstead proved this in her book (available in pdf and worth a read) but the tanks aren't true aquascapes in the sense we would recognise and this is why high-tech is so prevalent.
    A filter is needed because it's not just fish that produce wastes, plants do too and they need to be handled, yes it's a small ecosystem to an extent but it's a closed one and therefor it can't function like "wild" ecosystems which rely on atrophy and dilution as well as the sun and are therefore not closed.

This is an extremely complex issue and one I'm not sure I fully understand to steer you further but from my basic knowledge is that a filter is vital, it's impossible to over filter but you can under filter, diana recently changed her mind and is now using filters but her style of scaping isn't for those who want to see pearling, bushy stems and "nature" scapes. (nature here refering to the aesthetic not that actual underpinning processes.)

13. Garuf

And you still don't meet the 10x recommended turnover that most high-tech advocates strive for. ;)

Straight away we need to know the type of tank, hi-tech or low-tech, hi-tech fish waste causes algae, low tech it's food. Until then we can't make any judgements at all.

OP The best place to find info on low-tech should that be the way you wish to travel is the Barr report, it's fully of loads of meaty information and is home to the brains behind plant keepers, they lead, everyone else whether they like to admit it or not follows. ;)