1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What's the Difference between a Planted Aquarium and an Aquascape?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Sep 12, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I thought this might an interesting question to discuss. What's the difference between Planted Aquariums and an Aquascape? Is there a difference between these terms?

-John N.

2. John N.

If you're like me, when reading the question initially I think to myself, "Planted aquariums and aquascapes are the same." But as I sit and think about it more, having a planted aquarium is one thing, and an aquascape is something more.

I think aquascapes are things that are intentially made to mean something, or mimic an enviroment (natural or not). From plant design to fish selection. A planted aquarium on the other hand often times is just an aquarium that happens to have plants growing in it. ;)

-John N.

3. MonoBarrientos

MonoBarrientos New Member

Hi John,
    well, the aquascapes are planted aquariums, but not all the planted aquariums (tanks with protagonic presence of plants) could be called "aquascapes".
    In my opinion, the difference is the (intentional ) artistic enphasis (in the aquascapes) ...

Greetings!
    Gmo

4. MonoBarrientos

MonoBarrientos New Member

auto-correction: not all the aquascapes are planted aquariums.
    The aquascape, can be made with only rocks , woods or be a marine scape, etc etc. Is art under water (that is the point) .

The aquascaping with plants, is only other form (for my taste, the best :) )

Gmo

5. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

I could buy the notion that it's intent, but to one person it might look like intent and to another viewing it possibly not. I mean if you have an FO (Fish Only) tank and decide to add some plants because you heard it was good for water quality and it will make the tank look more natural. So you go to one of the big chain stores and buy a sword plant and some dwarf hairgrass and plant the bigger sword in the back and the shorter hairgrass in the front there is intent and it's a logical placement of those plants, but is it an aquascape. I think most people would naturally plant a tall plant in the back and a shorter one in the front. I think this is purely in the eyes of the beholder.

6. hooha

hooha New Member

I look at it as the difference between painting and art. Painting (like growing plants in an aquarium) is a tool used to create art (like creating an aquascape). Like all art, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

7. John N.

Tis true, the definition of planted aquarium and aquascape is in the eye of the beholder.

I don't know though, I see aquascapes as "High Art" pieces. Besides just placing plants in a layout logically (short plants in the front, tall plants in the back), great aquascapes are more systematic and more meaningful.

Some great aquascapes attempt to:

• Emulate Japanese Art (particularly the Zen and Rock Gardens). Rocks are place strategically for meaning (balance, harmony, etc).
    • Recreate terrestrial landscapes underwater. Such as Crystal Lake.
    • Capture/recreate aquatic environments in a beauty that says "humans have never touched this place". Biotopes aquariums (like Norbert's 2005 Biotope Aquascape) comes to mind, as well as a number of aquascapes that design nature's artificial beauty (like Dave Spencer's A Distant Echo).
    Perhaps, creating an aquascape with purpose, meaning, and style separates the two classifications of Aquascapers verses Planted Tank hobbyists.

-John N.

8. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

planted tank - a tank with plants banged in any place

aquascape - a tank with plants arranged in a way so it produces an artistic picture, with hardscape and plants used to work together to achieve a desired look.

9. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Interesting that the main dictionaries do not have 'aquascaping', rescape, scaping listed as words.

I tend to agree they overlap but aquascape is inclined towards 'beauty of nature' that's leaning more towards artistic impression whereas a planted tank is a general/humble term that literally means a tank with plants. [water optional? :D]