1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What's Next?

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Sybaris, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Sybaris

Sybaris New Member

A little intro

I had a 55g planted tank when I lived in Japan. It was very simple, just anubias attached to driftwood. Very low maintenance. Didn't even have CO2 but they grew like crazy.

Fast forward 10 years, I've moved back to the U.S. and I've just dismantled a reef tank. I liked it but I still have visions of all the iwagumi tanks I had seen in Japan and want to do one.

Now I'm starting an iwagumi from scratch.

I'm going to order a 120cm ADA and it is going to sit on a custom stand behind a wall. Actually I'm going to open the hole in the wall where my 55g sat and build a new frame around it. The tank will be in a utility room facing out to a bar and dining area.

I have made a laundry list of equipment and supplies..........CO2, filtration, livestock, plants, lighting etc.. Since the tank sits in a utility room I will have the option of plumbing for auto water change. I will be able to plumb either from city water or from the softener (it uses salt). I guess the previous owner didn't think the water was soft enough so they put in a water softener in line with the source. I'll be able to drain into the washer drainage.

I have no idea what my water parameters are coming into the house nor what they are after the softener. I do have a RO/DI setup that could be utilized as well. I plan to only have ET, HC, cherry shrimp and black tetras.

I guess my initial questions concern water and quality monitoring:

Are the testors like the LaMotte Colorimeter overkill or a good investment?

Considering my plumbing options is it easier to maintain consistency by adding essentials to RO/DI or adding Prime to tap water or?

Given I'm in the planning stage is there anything any of you would have done differently with your scapes that you would recommend I do?

thanks

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hi,
    IMO "LaMotte Colorimeter" is overkill, regular stripe tests as from JBL or whatever do a great job.
    As for Water I would go RO as than you can do your water as you need it.

something I would have done differently - go quality right from the start, saves money and less troubles. But you say you will buy 120cm ADA tank - I suppose money is not a problem and you can go all quality