1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What will i need?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by goldminnow, Sep 19, 2015.

1. goldminnow

goldminnow New Member

Hello.

Im planning my first proper aquascape.

My tank is only 24 litres. 40cm long 20cm wide and 30cm high. I will post a photo later.

I want to do a blackwater scape using tree roots and aqua soil. Looking for ideas on plants (low light). Also ideas on fish.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

3. keithgh

4. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

:) I guess the reason why a blackwater biotope is difficult in a small tank is. Keeping water parameters chemicaly in balance, blackwater biotopes are rather acidic and rich in tanines from the wood and or dry leave litter you can use for that purpose. These suitable blackwater parameters don't excactly come straight from the tap.. These you have to prepare, if you don't you probably never get it because of the weekly water changes.

You have to understand if you want to keep 25 liters of water in a stable is constantly hanging on the edge. Keeping a 100 liter tank like that already is a challange and keeping ¼ of that amount of water in balance is even more diffucult. If you have to work with amounts of 2 milliliters on a 100 liter tank, than this will be 0,5 milliter for a 25 liter tank. 1 small mistake like adding 0,695 millilter instead can have drastic consequences and totaly mess up the chemical ballance. And then you talk about a few droplets. If you don't stay constantly and very precicely on top if it, it probably will end in a disaster. The smaller the tank is, the more difficult it will be to keep it somewhat self sustainable even if it is low tech. That's also the most common mistake made among the fresh starting aquarists, starting (too) small. Starting to small is like a jump in the deep water at you first swimming lesson. :)

The way i would go around is, find out what your tap water says. If this is healthy enough then try to stay in that range without doing to much to it to make it suitable. This doesn't mean you can't keep fish from blackwater biotopes like rasboras or tetra's, most of those fish live also in less blackwater and more nutral types of inveronments. So then you still can create a kind of blackwater biotope look.

Blackwater in nature can be as brown as a cup of tea.. Plants living there are the low light plants like Java ferns only in the shallows where a bit of light still penetrates the water. If you look at the tropica data base at the easy plants you're about good to go with all of them in a nutral setup.
    http://tropica.com/en/plants/?tabIndex=1&alias=Easy

If you like to mimic blackwater biotope keep it in the south east asia region with plants, mosses and fish. The smallest fish rasbora's and shrimp come from those parts of the world. And low light plant choises enough from it's black water regions. :)

keithgh likes this.
  5. keithgh

Marcel

Thank you for posting all that information.

Keith:):)

MarcelM likes this.
  6. goldminnow

goldminnow New Member

Thank you for all the useful information. I understand the difficulty keeping parameters in order in such a small tank.
    I have my 200 litre tank but waiting until i have a bit more knowlege of plants.

I will start doing the small tank and do a small journal.

7. MarcelM

MarcelM Aspiring Aquascaper

It's not so difficult if you keep it in the range as comming from your tap, mostly nutral in ph and a somewhat fixed KH and GH and choose your plants in that perspective. :) If you need to alter those parameters considerably than a 25 liter tank is hard to maintain stable.. Which probably minus hardware will be 15 to 20 liter effecttively in volume.

The only way to get knowledge of plants is to stack as much different spieces as possible in your tank. :) And see how they do, how they grow or maybe don't grow and what they need. Like an other place in the tank or maybe some extra root tabs etc etc.. That way you learn alot about their needs and how they grow and makes choises for the future to fit them in the planed scape much easier.

Me too, i'm not a beginning aquarist but reentering after many years and totaly a novice scaper, never did one before. I kept my current scape artistically to a minimun, so i have room for plants and stacked over 20 different plant spieces in my tank. Only to get to know how they grow and which ones wil do best in the next real aquascape i already had on my mind before i started this one. :)

8. keithgh

Goldminnow.

Over the years I always had large tanks, I decided I wanted a Betta in a 45lt it was not long before I discovered it was the hardest tank to set up and maintain, It was the first one to be pulled down and its a Tillandsia (air plants) Terrascape.

Seeing you have a spare 200lt I would learn all the basics of the Biotope with that tank then do the small tank which by then you would have a greater understanding of the type of tank.

Keith:):)