1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

what water is pereferable for aquascaping

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by jasonperry, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

hi everyone the current water im using is ro water no additives except my fertilizer is this the best way? what i do know its not cheap when i do large water changes weekly and getting the water buts filled at £7 for 50ltrs every 2 weeks i dont fancy plonking aload of dosh £ £ £ down for an ro unit to fit to my house supply :cautious: has anyone ever used 50%tap water 50% ro mixed ? could be a bit cheaper is this a better way for the plants? and for the back poket:). we all know that (ro) water the impurites have been taken out and tap hasnt so dose tap have an advantage in ways? c02 is disolved also umm dose anyone have any take on this would appreciate feed back thanks :) :)

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You definitely do not want to use pure RO water, you need some kH and GH which is removed from RO water. Many people use a mix to hit the parameters they like. IME, RO water was way more trouble than it was worth. Most plants can do well in a variety of water conditions. Many that require soft water are difficult anyways and they are far and few between. I think many plant keepers like a KH of 4 degrees and a GH of 8 degrees but most have a wide range. My water is more like 8 deg KH and 12-16 deg GH.

People who use RO also use an additive like Seachem equilibrium to replace the necessary minerals and electrolytes that are removed by RO filtering.

So for plants sake, RO water isn't important. If you want to breed some fish, then RO becomes more necessary. Keeping Discus fish requires the use of RO water.

The only filtering I have considered adding to my water supply is a whole house carbon block filter to remove impurities and make my drinking water taste better. It will not reduce KH or GH.

Do you have access to a public water report which shows the parameters of your tap water?

3. jasonperry

i cannot fined my local prameters i have tested before. i just done a test with the api test kit and the gh was 13 deg and 12 deg on kh wich is around 214.8 on the ppm is this good for shrimp and plants ?

4. jasonperry

wel i just experimented with taking half the ro out of my water container in to another one and filling the other half with tap water did a kh-gh test and it came out at 7deg=125.3ppm on the gh, and 9 deg on the kh =161.1 ppm is this a good scale as ideal?. :)

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

those test kits are very faulty especially without calibrating using reference solutions. The variations can be wide, the reagents can be old...they just aren't reliable. The hobbyist grade kits don't cut it. Hach has a decent KH test kit.

Mixing the RO and your tap seems to give decent results. I don't see a problem with those measurements, even if they aren't accurate. The range is most likely close.

IMO, shooting for a narrow range of water parameters is a headache and leads to more failure than success. The best method is to choose fish that do well with your water. Since your water is on the hard side, look at keeping rainbow fish.

For shrimp it depends, for some it doesn't matter too much. Shrimp like red cherry shrimp and their various color versions won't care. If you want to keep high grade shrimp like high grade crystal red shrimp, it might matter more.

What are your goals?

6. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Shawn pretty much has it covered.
    it's usual practice to cut the water 50/50 if RO is desirable. The lack of hardness could well be the source of your algae issues!

Generally speaking though, the water in licolnshire is fine to use straight from the tap, if it's good enough for George Farmer then it's good enough for everyone else.

7. jasonperry

right wel i thought that about the algea having soft water is a more likely to have algea problems with it been more acid the gole is shawn just to have it in the mid range not too hard not too soft and stay stabel and not flux but yeah my solution is to do the 50/50 with tap and ro its worked out cheaper and it seems to be nice and stabel now so sticking to my gun for this one thanks alot for the input very helpful.
    regards jason :)

8. jasonperry

and yeah the test kit iknow isnt very correct aslong as its close to get an idea its only that cheap api test set.

9. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Water hardness I don't think has a direct relationship with algae. I know scapers who have very successful systems in pure ro and EI dosing. The only thing I can think to be an issue is in very hard water co2 is less soluble therefore less available to plants and harder to get up to and above 30 ppm.

I'm afraid I can't really expand on it too much further, it's an area of the hobby I must admit I've never strayed too far into so don't really understand anything more than the very basics. Something to read up on.