1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What type of subtrates?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by ColeCarter21, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ColeCarter21

ColeCarter21 New Member

I never really thought about it till now but what types of substrates are beneficial to the health of plants. im new to aquascaping so this would be very helpful.

2. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

Hi there! Great question - sounds like you need to do some research though, there are a lot of great discussions and polls about what substrates work well. The quick answer is that there's no one perfect substrate.

My advice is start searching the internet for pictures of tanks that you like and that you'd like to have. Then check out the specs for those tanks -- what substrate are they using to get the look that you like so much? What type of lighting, Co2 and filtration are they using? I think that's a good place to start. For example, if you like a darker tank with a lot of anubis, maybe you should just get some larger size river stones as your substrate. But if you want a densely grown carpet of baby tears, you'd need something very different.

You'll also have to consider your budget. You can spend anywhere form nothing to hundreds of dollars on substrates.

3. ColeCarter21

ColeCarter21 New Member

Well the plants i'm trying to use are all mosses. Star Moss, java moss, and christmas moss. I don't know if aquatic moss is much different from land moss; i have moss rocks that i maintain fairly well that have very little if any soil content.

4. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

In general, beneficial soils are the kind that will feed your plants and act as nutrient buffer-absorbed from your liquid dosing.

Mosses are not demanding- just clean cool water and some ferts but a good substrate is worth considering as it affects and changes you do later on when you want to try other more demanding plants.

Soil + is mud, so you may want to do some research. Most popular over here are Holland sand+ base fert combos, ADA Amazonia new[forever out of stock!] and maybe some scapes that use white cosmetic sand.