1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

what type of Algae is this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by craig20102010, Apr 8, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Craig

All OK now thank you.

Snails do you actually want that many in your tank?

When all those spaces are filled in it will make a massive improvement to your tank.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. craig20102010

craig20102010 Aspiring Aquascaper

Well the snails are more of a pest to be honest but getting rid of them is hard unless I had a fish that would take care of them but there usually loaches and there a bit big for the tank..

I have had assassain snails at one point but for some reason they died and caused a water quality issues since I couldnt see where they were in the plants.

I can't wait for the plants to grow back again but I'm leaving it on the one bulb for now which is slightly higher intensity so I should have a bit of growth when I get back in a weeks time.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

3. keithgh

Craig

Can you get any small Clown Loach's with very little feed they will reduce then very quickly plus all the snail eggs.

If you can as soon as the light comes on in the morning play "Squashoooo" with them also try a Iceberg lettuce they love them.

4. craig20102010

I could get a small clown loach but problem with them is they need to be a in a group and they'll grow fairly large pretty fast and then I'll have to get rid of them.

I think il try reduce numbers with the lettuce. Sounds like a good idea. Be nice if I had some form of control. I wish the assassin snails weren't so expensive and didn't die so easily haha.

It's strange because in my little tank the assassin snails are fine and I havnt lost any.

5. keithgh

craig

Good healthy young Clown Loach's grow on average 1cm per year, they do not have to be in a group at all.

6. craig20102010

Wel It's just what iv read. It says they need to be kept in a large tank and in groups of 5 or more other wise they become stressed.

I'll just stick with manual removal for now.

7. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Just an update here on my h2o2 treatment. About 90% of my algae is gone. I also raised my lighting and added more water flow. Have been spraying the grass with a few squirts of hydrogen peroxide from a small squirt bottle during water changes for maintenance. Even my hardscape is cleared of algae. I'm loving this method. It took a couple weeks but wow, I thought I was in trouble...now in the clear. I lost 4 shrimp during this time, don't know if it relates to the treatment or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. keithgh

Craig

That is correct when they are adult size and that can take many years, mine were 20+yld and never grew past 6-7ins in a well planted tank.

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear its working well. The shrimp deaths could be related to the treatment, it is hard to say. H2O2 is a relatively strong oxidizing agent, and if you do the treatment regularly or for long enough, you begin to run out of compounds for it to oxidize which could lead to it oxidizing parts of your shrimp or fish. Essentially, each equal volume dose could have a different level of effect on the system. I wouldn't recommend it as a regular maintenance routine, only for periods of combating an issue like the hair algae. Its hard to estimate.

J Art likes this.
  10. craig20102010

Well an update on my tank is all of the hair algae is gone from what I can see. So what ever fish/shrimp has eaten the remains of the algae and it looks very clean.

I need to some how now get my plants back on track as they are not looking so healthy.

Lights back to two bulbs and check the contents of my water and check my dosing amounts.

11. craig20102010

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very impressed with the water clarity as well. I wish the clarity would show on this website as it does on my phone. Maybe i need to try using a proper camera.

Any how many thanks for all your help. Your combined efforts have helped me remove the hair algae without causing too much damage to my tank.

My nitrates are 10-15 ppm (closer to 10 ppm) and my phosphates are 0.25 - 0.5 ppm (closer to 0.5 ppm) So i'm wondering if i need to maybe raise my Phosphates a little in the future..

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    keithgh likes this.
  12. keithgh

Craig

We are only too pleased to assist you.

13. ShadowMac

@craig20102010 , at the moment I don't think you have the plant mass needed for heavier dosing. Maybe once everything grows in more densely.

14. craig20102010

Iv just increased my Phosphate to 1 ppm just to keep the "red field ratio" right. I guess if i try start now then i will be on to a winner for the future..

Iv also just bought another 4 Otto's to match the 1 i already had. Hopefully this encourages the one i had to come out of his shell and in doing so ill have a little algae team.

15. ShadowMac

the redfield ratio is not applicable to planted tanks. Its some misinterpreted hooey that is applicable in large agricultural applications. Non limiting is the key here.

craig20102010 likes this.
  16. keithgh

Craig

It should help if you can slowly add more even one per week to let them adjust slowly to their new enviornment.

Remember algae is their natural food you must have a constant supply for them.

17. craig20102010

I'm sure a constant supply of food won't be a problem. :)

18. keithgh

Craig

I have seen them in more than one LFS in practically a bare tank just wasting away.

19. ShadowMac

They require more than just algae. See seriouslyfish.com for care and feeding

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

J Art likes this.
  20. keithgh

Yes they do like a variety of foods I found any of the Algae based foods was the best.

J Art likes this.