1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

what type of Algae is this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by craig20102010, Apr 8, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Thank you Craig.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. craig20102010

craig20102010 Aspiring Aquascaper

so the 3 day blackout has started today after the 20% water change and removal of as much of the hair algae as i could.

Iv used doubled up black bin liners so im hoping it will keep all the light out altogether. CO2 is off and so are the ferts.

Ill remove the bags on Friday morning and give the tank another water change and return the lighting back on to still half light with 6 hours photo period, Co2 and maybe introduce the ferts again.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Let us know how it goes. Best of luck!

4. keithgh

Craig

I hope every thing you are doing works for you.

5. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

IMG_1174.JPG

@craig20102010 I'm in the same boat as you I think. Been getting more and more of the same type of stuff. Hugs the substrate and sort of tangles up into my dwarf hairgrass. Been removing manually but seems to be spreading a bit now. It's actually hard to see because it's similar to my grass, but when you get up close it's noticeable.

My rocks are sporting some sort of beard algae/moss as well, but I sort of like it.

Did you happen to cure your problem?

Attached Files:

6. craig20102010

That rock Moss looks cool if anyone can name it I'd like some me self for my tank back home.

My tank issues are still on going I'm still doing the 3 day black out its due to finish tomorrow morning when I get in from work. I'll let you know how it looks. I know tomorrow morning I need to remove what's left and stick the lights back on after a water change and see how the algae responds after another 5 days of light.

I'll report back after tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

J Art likes this.
  7. ShadowMac

That rock moss is algae. @JArt a twinstar helps with green algae. You could probably back off the light. Looks like cladophora in the hair grass, which is really tough to get rid of. Blackout and Amano shrimp can help too.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

J Art likes this.
  8. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Was thinking of doing an Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide spot treatment. Would either work, or is it more of a manual removal type issue?

9. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

Hmmm, I'd go with Amano shrimp. My experience with Excel and peroxide has been mixed. Yes it kills algae but it also killed livestock and burned downoi and Hc. I've tried it diluted and had same bad experience except on my rotala nanjenhansen. My lfs said the plants burned not because of the chemicals but because I left the light on. Les suggested turning light off for a day after spot treating. Your algae is widely dispersed which might make a surgical spot treatment difficult. In my small 5 gallon and your 10 gallon, "spot" treatment might result in excess chemicals given our low water volume. Even if the spot treatment works I think that algae is coming back unless the underlying cause is rectified. That's the harder question. That's why I advocate Amano shrimp first.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    J Art likes this.
  10. ShadowMac

Excel will burn the grass. Those things work better on hard scape and brush algae.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

J Art likes this.
  11. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

the subject algae in the first photo - if not hair algae, my "guess" it is utricularia gibba [not sure because i don't see a sort of knot along the
    hairline thread] very difficult to get rid even blackout or other sort of algae chemical will not control it. small or tiny part of it left during the course of removal grows back again. you really need a lot of patience removing as it is very stubborn to deal with. i'd rather have hair algae :D

to differentiate the two hair algae is slimy, ug is not.

"i have to edit my post just to make it clear that Utricularia Gibba is not classified as algae"

just my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Diego_, ShadowMac and craig20102010 like this.
  12. Ed Villagracia

kindly update us with your treatment.

keithgh likes this.
  13. keithgh

If I am correct Excel will also melt Val.

14. craig20102010

This is a very hard algae to shift. Iv had it before and i don't remember how i eventually got rid of it.

You are right in what you say in that the hair algae that i have isnt slimy and is very string like. Almost like a piece of very thin cotton.

If UG is not classified as Algae is it just classified as a plant?

The 3 day blackout has finished now and i have removed what algae was in there that i could get out safely without ripping the whole HC carpet up. It did remove a little bit easier and it certainly hasn't grown during the black out. Also i performed a 30% water change.

The hc looked fine after the blackout- still nice and green and growing well. My other plants how ever look like the leaves have melted and were certainly on the verge of dying. Hopefully they come back fighting.

Ferts have been resumed along with Co2 and half the lighting with a 6 hour photo period. Im going to leave the tank for another 5 days now in this situation and see how it looks after this and also see if the hair algae has grown back.

ill post my findings after the 5 days. Thanks

Edit:

After i googled utricularia gibba i can honestly say its not that. This plant has small pods on it looking at the detailed photos and mine doesn't. Its also alot thinner then utricularia gibba.

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  15. Ed Villagracia

[i read] it is considered as aquatic plant?? but nobody loves them - i presumed;)

good news(y)

i am thinking that HC might suffer becuase it happened to me during 3days black out. nice to know it's not.

good job(y)(y)(y)

also my concerned. i am thinking of deleting my post about UG thinking it is out of topic for i am not sure about your kind of algae classification but good to know you have googled it and earned idea by doing so.

kindly provide us progress in a week time. good luck your half way winning the battle;)

craig20102010 likes this.
  16. craig20102010

So just an update on the tank. It appears after 5 days it hasn't grown back with quite the intensity as it would of normally so that's a start. Although the lights are off at the moment. I'll know more tomorrow.

I'll be giving it a 30% water change tomorrow and removing some more of the hair algae by hand.

Iv also got some liquid carbon that I'm going to try spot treating it with.

All the algae iv been removing iv been putting it into a tub on my window sill to try keep it alive so that I can work out how to kill it. Although it is hard to see it growing in a tub I might be able to see if it changes colour with what ever move I decide to make.

Iv added phosphates to the tub to see if this accelerates its growth in anyway.

17. sushant

sushant Aspiring Aquascaper

This does looks like clado, remove as much as possible and spot dose with h2o2

ShadowMac likes this.
  18. keithgh

craig

Treat it as a big learning curve and do not forget to take photos and notes.

19. yudagas

yudagas Aspiring Aquascaper

I do 3 day black out + co2 dosing (since mine diy i dont mind) up to 2 bps...all gone white my anubias survive it and i dip it to bleach...

Sent from my EG98 using Tapatalk

20. craig20102010

So iv done the water change tonight but I increased it to 50% and I removed as much as I could of the algae without destroying the tank. The problem is every time I try and remove what ever it is, it removes some of my hc as well since its all tangled in it.

I thought the problem hadnt come back as much but after having the lights on it still seems to be just as bad. The plants seem to of taken a bigger hit by the black out then the algae and the algae is certainly growing back stronger and sooner.

Iv tried H202 but i know that stuff also kills HC so how can i spot treat the tank safely without killing the HC as well?

I have spot treated the tank tonight with 3ml total of liquid carbon so its roughly 3x over the recommended dose on the bottle.

Here are some photos of the situation at the moment uploadfromtaptalk1461786924214.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1461786933473.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1461786939689.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1461786949454.jpg