1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What the heck is this!?! :-&

Discussion in 'Algae' started by exosket, Feb 16, 2009.

1. exosket

exosket New Member

I don't know if this is algae...but i'll post it here anyway. I have this weird white hair stuff growing all over my piece of grapevine driftwood. I have soaked it for about 3 days to get it water logged before putting it in my tank, but since I read it could take months, I suction-cupped it to the bottom of my tank. Now, the substrate and rocks are holding it in place. This stuff started to form after three or so days, but it started as a thin slime which could easily be brushed off, but would come back the very next day as if I never cleaned the wood.

Now it's been about a month and has developed into this!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's like thick hairs that won't come off unless I use my finger nails. It's like I need a razor to scrape it off. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? I have searched all over google, but I can't identify this. I really don't want to have to take the wood out. Since it's stuck to the bottom and beneath the substrate and rocks...i'd have to tear down my entire tank.

It doesn't seem to be affecting the fish and shrimp. My otos seem to like to eat a little of it now and then..but they can't totally clear it up. I have CO2 (just started two days ago) at 2 bubbles/sec. for 8hrs/day.... T5 lighting..78watts, 30 gallon tank. I add step one ADA ferts and I have a HOB filter.

Please help!!! :((

Sponsored link:

2. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I have seen something like this but black in color, call it Black Beard Algae (BBA) but it is the first time I saw it white in color.

Maybe it is fungus, it does look like fungus. I seen fungus on the Discuss egg also on uneaten food. It does look the same, white color and hairy. My guess is your driftwood rotting.

Most of the time people will suggest Methylene Blue to prevent Discuss egg fungus. However, Methylene Blue is out in your case because you have shrimps inside. Will you be able to drain the water to the point where it is expose to air? If can then you can apply H2O2.

3. oregonaqua

oregonaqua New Member

Hello, Due you or have you been using seachem excel? that looks like BBA after a course of excel treatment.
    here is a pick of mine when i was killing it with excel. it turned some very pretty colors on its way to death, pink, red, purple, and some white and grey.
    [​IMG]

4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

It looks like fungus to me too. Doesn't quite look velvety enough for BBA to me but then maybe it is much closer in than I am assuming.

I don't have any suggestions as it's not something I have had to deal with. Sorry

AC

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

i would say this peace of wood os rotting. sorry but for me it looks like fungus!
    Sometimes it is even better to use DW from the lfs..
    do an amonia test to go sure it doesnt effect your fish!

6. exosket

exosket New Member

I haven't treated it with anything. It's been pure white since it started forming. =/

7. exosket

exosket New Member

Is there anyway to save this wood from this fungus? I can't take it out of my tank unless I rip up everything and start all over again! ;__;

8. dundadundun

dundadundun New Member

it took 3 months, sae's, a farlowella, wood shrimp, amano shrimp and nerite snails to get rid of mine. although it may have gone away on it's own and they just helped keep it in check as i read would happen when it happened to me. it is a fungus as far as i know, but for some reason they eat it anyway. does it make your tank stink like rot a little instead of earthy (up close if you take it in slow). that's what mine did. to me it seemed like it was individual taste rather than a specific species to see who would eat it, but the farlowella played a big role. since it is grapewood you are using i'd say jur4ik is probably right. from what i know grape wood doesn't stand up to submerssion too well. i'm pretty sure this is not from tannins though... i boiled my wood for almost 3 whole days considering the river i got it from. i could be wrong all together. i am no expert, but this is my experience.

9. ampersand

ampersand New Member

It looks like a fungus to me. If I had it in my tank I would probably kill it by boiling it.

10. permafrost

permafrost New Member

you've picked this wood up from nature yourself, am i right? i'm not sure what is happening to it if this is the case, although i'm afraid it is rotting, too. I agree, smelling it, testing for ammonia and feeling the wood's texture could give you some clue. Is the wood underneath the fungus going soft?

however, fungi do come out on lfs-bought driftwood as well. this has happened to three of mine already, only it looked rather more cottony / slimy and not hairy like yours. What i did was take out the wood and boil it or just rinse it with boiled water for larger pieces, brushing it off under the water at the same time. It takes 2 to 3 times to get rid of it sometimes.

fellow aquarists here in greece say that this fungus (on lfs-bought wood that means) is actually harmless for your fish and that many ancistrus species will relish on it :D I wouldn't trust this to be the case with your wood though :( sorry

11. permafrost

permafrost New Member

i've just remembered i had read a thread in a greek forum once about using grapevine wood in aquariums, so i've found it for you and here's what it says:

• Be sure the wood has never or at least not in the last years been sprayed with pesticides or other chemicals.
    • Clean it very carefully using a knife if necessary and a hard brush under running water until all loose material is off and you're left with clean wood
    • Leave it in container filled with water for a week. May develop slime during that period.
    • At the end of the week boil the wood in water with salt (2-3 handfuls of salt per 10lt of water) for at least 3-4 hours. Leave in water and repeat the same procedure the next day in new water+salt
    • If still floating at this point, take it out of the boiling water and put it immediately in a container with cold water. this should bring it to rest.
    • Wash under running water and brush until smooth
    • Now it's ready to go in the aquarium!
    Now this is just something someone else said would work for grapevine wood and i can't be sure if it's alright, mind you!

So far it seems the wood has to come out, sorry... However it leaves you some hope that it can be saved! Unless of course you test other parameters and feel confident enough to leave it as it is...

12. krisha

krisha New Member

How do I tell if it is grapevine wood?

13. permafrost

permafrost New Member

has to look like grapevine i guess! google for images! have you picked up some wood of unknown origin?

14. exosket

exosket New Member

Okay, so I smelled it and there is no odor. Ammonia and PH are fine too and the wood is still rock hard. It has been sandblasted..i don't know if that makes a difference? =/ I bought this wood from a furniture store. This wood was meant to be a display piece. I did clean it with a brush when I got it, but I didn't boil it. My otos and shrimp love eating it and are actually leaving blank spots of it on the wood and it doesn't grow back. I hope it stays that way!

15. exosket

exosket New Member

Shoot! I wish I had found this article before! Thanks so much for posting it though! It is slowly going away and otos are eating it so i think i'll give it a little longer. :)

16. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

nice to hear about ottos are taking care of it :)
    can you post an update picture?

17. dundadundun

dundadundun New Member

sounds great... if it is like mine (looks exact), once it's gone that's it. like i said i boiled for 3 days (3" diameter) and it appeared anyway. the smell was also very faint (others could not sense it).

anyway, sounds great. good to hear the ottos are taking care of it.

p.s. i too would like to see an update.

edit: funny thing too, i noticed none of my occupants seemed to want to do more than occasional grazing until just before it was done growing. then they knocked it down pretty quick and it has not returned. :)

18. exosket

exosket New Member

Here's an update for everyone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's one of my ottos in action! It seems to be slowly dying also as it's not growing any longer. You can see in the top picture where the ottos only like to do the top- not the sides. :-p

dundadundun "i noticed none of my occupants seemed to want to do more than occasional grazing until just before it was done growing. then they knocked it down pretty quick and it has not returned."

That's so funny! Seems like what it happening here! Now, all the ottos will eat it for a while and then take breaks. I think they are so full!

19. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

glad to heard that otos eat it :)

20. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Hi,
    Algae seems to be an problem for everyone who owns a tank. I use to have that problem too for my pond. Until I use a pump to circulate the water through a UV light box and the algae problem disappeared totally. And I never had algae problem again. I heard there is an aquarium UV light box also. Am going to try that, but afraid it might harm the plants. Anyone here have used the UV unit for their aquarium before? Please give me advice whether to buy the UV unit, and if the UV light processed water will harm the plants.

Thanks and regards^:)^