1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What potential is in my hands?

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by CatfishSoupFTW, Jun 1, 2012.

1. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey everyone. Okay so I am posting a new thread here, as I had an earlier discussion on a different thread, but it was an off topic thing, so I figured I shall start a new thread.

My current tank set up is (in inches)

48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 21

its a 55 gallon tank, with black trimming. Just a generic tank.

When it comes to filtration its running:

Eheim Classic 2217
    API Nexx Canister (one unit atm)

Lighting :
    Aquatic Life Dual HO T5 54 watt (x2, I attached two fixtures) So im looking at 108 x 2 = 216 watts
    Despite the old way of measuring, that equates to basically 4 wpg.
    3x 6500K
    1x roseate bulb

Plants: (Im horrible with latin names but I will try my best to name them)

Anubias
    Java Ferns
    Bronze Crypt Wendtii
    Echinodorus "Red Special"
    Moss balls

* I also have these small green crypts, that dont grow that tall, "micro crypts" that grow nicely, that are in my 8 gallon almost like a carpet, but I may move them back into the 55.

And thats about it. I used to have so many more different species of plants, but that was back then when I didnt know as much, and they died on me. Anyway, thats my current set up as plants.

When it comes to fauna, its mainly tetras.

Substrate:

100lbs of generic aquarium gravel ( I plan to upgrade to soil in september hopefully, but thats not a for sure.

Also have a power head that is connected to a DIY co2 set up, which diffuses them nicely

So may main question is what potential do I have here? I also have some rocks and driftwood, ( i will post a picture shortly of my current set up) but I have always wanted a glosso or HC carpet, but in the past (before all my equipment upgrades) they survive a bit then fail big time.

My main goal with my current set up, is on the left side, the Ferns, anubia and red special grow out every so nicely and thick. to really make that side dense. Same goes on the right side with the crypts.

My apology on the picture quality, I did not feel like busting out the DSLR and doing a proper shoot. For the sake of getting help I just used my iPhone. So the tank doesnt look AS bad as they do here. But to point out a few things.. my substrate is sideways and my moss balls rolled away. And for that nasty container floating. its a lost cause on recovering a dying moss ball.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. octavusprime

octavusprime New Member

You have the potential my friend. I would make changing out the substrate a priority as that gravel provides no nutrients or cation exchange potential. Speaking of nutrients what do you do for fertilization? Once you get new substrate slope it from front to back, it really makes the tank look bigger than it really is.

Personally I'm not a fan of the algae balls, I've yet to see them used in a way that looks good to me. I would pull the dying one out before it causes other things to rot. With a little time and energy your tank could do everything you want and more.

Cheers!

3. CatfishSoupFTW

For fertilizing , I does excel every other day, one cap full, sometimes half. I pour it near the power head so it really gets good distribution around the tank. Plus 25-30 percent weekly water changes. I also have DIY yeast co2 but we all sort of know that doesnt really count.. :p I agree with the slope. dont understand why i didnt in the first place. And for gravel replacement, im looking to do it around august/sept. when I tear down the tank to move back out for the college year.

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Just a side note - one don't bury fern rhizomes into the gravel - they won't grow well and rot away.

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Dosing excel daily will yield better results since it photodegrades one day will have plenty the second day once it's degraded their won't be quite enough. all dosing is best carried out daily as it helps to prevent peaks and troughs which can impeed plants and encourage algae.

6. CatfishSoupFTW

Yeah I always make sure its up on the ground. they are growing slowly, but no rotting, which is good. Though some are at questionable depth. if they are mildly underneath, is that a big issue?

I used to do daily doses, but my moss balls were having a bit of an issue. mild brown strands, so I was concerned maybe I was dosing too much. Seeing how excel also works as an algecide. You tink they will be fine? The seachem site says excel only hurts vals. And when I do a search on moss balls. not too much reveals whether or not they kill it.

7. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Moss balls are clado-algae and will die with excel eventually... :/ I sort of guess that's the issue, what suits an algae definitely doesn't suit a plant so one will always lose out.

8. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Best is to attach ferns and anubias to little stones and arrange them as you want to :)

9. CatfishSoupFTW

then im in luck because those ferns attatch to stuff fast, so I can probably raise them a bit now that they have some gravel attached to them. As for the moss balls.. really like em, I hope they dont die out on me. Maybe I will do daily doses but careful with my dosage amount.