1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

what plant is this???

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by vanscheck, Mar 15, 2011.

1. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

i just bought a plant from my LFS and he says it's great for carpet effect in the foreground but what is it??? so i can research about it more and any tips on how to take care of it??

Attached Files:

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Looks like lileaopsis brasiliensis.

3. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

I agree. Its common name is Micro Sword, and I see it a lot in LFS. I've never tried growing it, but I do know that for a lot of "carpet" style short plants, having the right kind of substrate can really make a difference as to whether they flourish or die. Good luck, and show us some pictures after you plant it.

4. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

i grew this plant once as a carpet in my 55 gallon. The best way to plant it is to string it out. If you leave it in a bunch like it is in the pot it will take it awhile to spread. Just string it out and it will send off runners faster and carpet the whole aquarium in a couple months. Awesome little plant.

5. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

any tips on how to thin it out, cause the store clerk said that the roots are very sensitive and it my rip off or break when i seperate it from the wooly thing in the pot???tips tips tips

6. Frosties

Frosties New Member

Take it out of the pot. Then under a running tap tease the rockwool away. You can easily open up the rockwool and will see how deep the roots run... Then use scissors to remove large clumps.

This in indeed l. Brasillensis. I sell loads of it like this.