1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What kind of fish do you use in Your scaped tank?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Ifhbiff, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Ifhbiff

Ifhbiff New Member

I am really interested in finding our what fish yall use in your planted tanks.
    I am really leaning towards cardinal tetras (y) probably like 15 or so in my 30 gallon.

I was just curious.

Sponsored link:

2. nick.scott

nick.scott Aspiring Aquascaper

Well... I'm not sure if mine is similar to others, but I have: one rainbow shark, one diamond tetra, one black phantom tetra, and currently only 4 zebra danios :)c a couple died... my fault for buying new danios from petco...). Then I've got a few ghost shrimp, a few amano, and a few cherry red shrimps.

I like zebras as a small shoal/school but I feel like they are too large and active to keep a good sized group in my small 110 liter (29gallon).

The zebra danio I've had since I started fishkeeping (over a year and a half ago) just died :c I told myself if another zebra vanished somehow that I would return the new-ish danios and decide on a smaller schooling fish. Maybe danio margaritatus... or a small rasbora species. Suggestions?

Or I could get 2 of each previous tetra mentioned... but I feel like even that would be close to overstocking... I wish I had a larger tank haha

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Ifhbiff

Every tank I have every had have be scaped for the inhabitants.

The 5ft I am in the process of redoing the Aquascape, as it is mainly Clown Loaches, Hoplo Cat fish and Aust Rainbows it all Anubias attached to Driftwood reason the CLs would dig any rooted plant out and could wreck soft leaf plants.

The 75cm Jebo is mainly a shrimp and Threadfin Rainbow tank plants mainly Anubias nana, Anubias nana petite any various crypts.

If I was doing a special tank for any competition I would go for smaller bright coloured fish like Cardinal Tetras so that would stand out against all the greenery, that would change of course if I was doing a special region Aquascape then it would be advisable to select fish from that area to match the Aquascape.

Keith:):)

4. KatieK

KatieK Aspiring Aquascaper

Keith, do you have pictures of that 5ft you're talking about? I want to see those fish.

I have golden neon tetras in my 33 gal. They compliment the warmer colored sandstone and the purple cabomba in there. But I'm totally getting a betta for the tank.

5. keithgh

I had a bit of bad luck with my both tanks my water supply went crazy and I lost many plants before I fixed every thing up.

I am in the middle of rescaping it for the fish not for a perfect picture.

The big Clown Loach is settling down now and I do not want to upset him very much meaning I intend to do a very little at a time if lucky I will have every thing done in a few months time.

The other major concern at the moment I have a sick wife to look after and that come first.

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I'm a fan of small tetras, danios, or rasboras combined with a some fish who have a little more personality like South American cichlids. I plan to have a school of 30-40 ruby tetras and 6 apistogramma Borelli in my new scape.

7. Eboeagles

Eboeagles Aspiring Aquascaper

This is a great topic as I'm looking for inspiration on fish for my 60l.

I have 5 emerald dwarf rasbora, 5 spotted dwarf rasbora & 5 ottos but would like a pair of something more exciting as well. So thread hijack!

I was thinking blue rams as I've always fancied them but advice is that they all shrimp even large amano's... They'd probably also be too big with all the current fish.

Any suggestions for me please?

8. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Blue rams won't pick on other fish, although they do pick at shrimp. Amanos are large enough they are generally left alone, cherry shrimp however often become snacks.

There are a lot of fish similar to blue rams. The fish I spoke of Apistogramma Borelli is a good example. Many other apistos are good fish with personalities.

9. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Cardinals and any small tetra species are my go to. Smaller schooling fish always make the tank pop.

-John N.

10. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Yup, Blue rams are hungry buggers for cherry shrimp. My Amano Shrimp faired okay though.

-John N.

11. keithgh

letsgodisco, nick.scott and Eboeagles like this.
  12. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Keith, WOW What a stunning fish :rolleyes::cool:

13. Eboeagles

Eboeagles Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks guys.

I've only been into aquariums about 2 years & kept nanos so I'm looking forward to having something slightly bigger even if they don't fit the scape.

I've been looking at apisto's also like the look of those thread rainbows. I need to hunt some down so I can see them in the flesh

14. KatieK

Keith,

You said in a previous post that the clown loach you have is 15? years old. I just wanted to see it. I can understand that you don't have a lot of time for frivolities, if your wife is ill.

Katie

15. keithgh

Katie

That Clown Loach is over 23 now the way I know is I bought him before I retired and that was when I was only 52yld.

Yes the wife's health is not the best but the Dr said it should be all over in another 3 weeks.

To make things a bit easier I am well house trained.

Here are some older photos of the big Clown Loaches he is the last one left now.

This photo is the most recent and it is the surviving CL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of my big Hoplo Catfish

16. KatieK

Wow! That fish is huge, about 20/21 cm? Will clowns grow as big as the ecosystem allows them? Are those baby clowns eating lettuce with the big one? Have you named it? I'd like to toss my suggestion in the hat; how about Big Bertha. I'm not sure how I feel about only being 6 years older than Big Bertha.

17. KatieK

On another note, I think it's been about three weeks, I hope your wife is doing better.

Katie

18. keithgh

Katie

Thank you for asking

The wife is very slowly getting better what was it ????

If that big Clown Loach was in a 8ft tank he might have grown a few more cm then if he was in a monster Aquarium tank and with the proper care he would easily be over 30cm.

Naming no we name the pussy cats but never the fish.

Yes they all live together so why not eat together.

19. KatieK

Keith,

I'm glad she is getting better; a household is stressful enough without someone being sick.

It just neat to see the two sizes together for a comparison. I'm assuming Big Bertha started out that small and now they all eat lettuce together. I bet you have no Malaysian trumpet snails in your tank.

What's a monstrous aquarium tank? Are you talking about something you'd find in a zoo or professional aquarium?

Welby names everything. The dogs obviously, his car, our old fish, his stupid frog, I don't think he named the shrimp, and he hasn't named the tetras, so far.

Katie

20. keithgh

Katie

I am referring to a professional Aquarium

For some reason I lost a few younger CLs in the last 6months why?? the big fella prefers to be a loner these days yet he will eat with the other CLs occasionally.

Yes he would have been under 10cm as I never bought any big ones.

To the best of my knowledge the very large CLs are no longer exported (legally) as they are considered the breeding stock in the wild.

A few years back I was offered as many big CLs as I wanted (when it was legal) but at a massive cost and no guarantee they would survive in a small 5ft tank.