1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What kind of algea --> treatment ?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Leonard, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Leonard

Leonard New Member

I mainly got 2 kinds of algea in my tank. They look like this and I don't know their name:
    Gray-ish algea, lays everywhere in my Eleocharis
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Green, long, and slimy algea
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am running my tank with EI-method and I use PMDD (1 dosage/week) to get these values:
    9ppm NO3
    0.6ppm PO4
    0.1ppm Fe
    13.1ppm K

Tank spec.
    Volume: 36l
    Lights: 2 x 15W T8 (Aquarelle + LifeGlo)
    Filter: JBL CristalProfi e700
    Inhabitants: 12 Charcoal tetras and some Amano shrimps
    Only sand
    Plants all over the bottom, Eleocharis, Echinodorus tenellus and HC.

If there is anybody who knows how to kill the algeas/make them weaker, please let me know :)
    Thanks!

2. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

I don't know their species names, but the top pic.s are commonly called "Staghorn" and the bottom pics look like "hair" algae.

I got staghorn when i had an amonia spike due to a dead unseen fish, and luckily haven't had hair algae yet, but supposedly rosy barbs will nibble off both of these.

Most algae is due to an imbalance in the nutrient, light, + co2 mix. i'm sure others have more info for ya tho :)

best of luck!

3. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Its sraghorn and hairalgae, do you inject co2?

4. Leonard

Leonard New Member

Yes I insert CO2, trough my external filter. Everything have been working really well until now.

Thanks! I didn't know how Staghorn looked like. I'm going to do some reasearch about Staghorn and see if I could get any tips from there.

5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

6. -serok-

-serok- Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi there!

It's much better to fertilize a tank by daily dosage, not one time a week. That way you can hold a constant nutrient level. NO3 is a little bit low, maybe thats the reason for the hair algea. What's the value of CO2 in your tank? Is it pressurized CO2 or DIY?

Edit:
    @Robert
    Nice link! ;)

7. Leonard

Leonard New Member

Thanks for the link!
    I have actually not washed my external filter media since I started the tank 3 months ago. I still have a good cirkulation and OK levels of CO2, but I may be having much mulm in the filter. I'll clean it next time I do water change.

I use pressurized CO2 and dissovle it by passing it trogh my external filter, which is filled with almost only plastic balls (in Sweden called "Bioballs") and some ceramic.
    My drop checker is green and my plants are producing lots of oxygen, so I believe I have an OK value of CO2. I could try with increasing the bubble speed.

I have been thinking about the dosage, maybe I should try to spread it over the week instead. Or should I just add another dose i the middle of the week?