1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

what kind of algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by sbyboy83, Sep 16, 2014.

1. sbyboy83

sbyboy83 New Member

hi,
    Im new to the forum and new to aqua-scaping altogether.
    current setup is:

80 litre Tank
    2 x 24watt T5HO for 6-7 hours
    CO2 3-4 buble per second
    substrate: JBL Manado on Tetra Initial Stick
    Filter: 400 L/H canister Filter
    5 fish otocinclus + 5 amano shrimp
    foreground plant is monte carlo, and background is umbrosum (CMIIW)
    i've got 2 problems like in the picture
    1. 1.jpg there is some black layer on the leaf. i can rub the top of leaf (the black layer) and the leaf turn back color to green. Is it algae? how to cure it? oto and amano seems not like to eat this.
    2. 2.jpg there is something like hair on the substrate and leaf. how to cure it?

thanks in advanced! Hope someone can help!

keithgh likes this.
  2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Sbyboy, Hard to see from the photos ? Hair algae you can get on top of it by taking it out by hand or use a cotton bud and twist it round the algae each day and do regular water changes 20-30% twice a week. It will take about 2-3 weeks to get it under control. The other Algae ?? Others will know more about that one. Here is a link for Algae and how to deal with it. Hope it helps (y)
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/algaepedia/index.php

keithgh likes this.
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I see staghorn algae, some other dust or plaque algae, maybe some diatoms...maybe some hair algae. It is hard to tell from the photos, but I definitely see staghorn. Generally a sign of insufficient CO2 or too much light. Turn up the CO2 or turn down the light. You can reduce the lighting by raising it up from the surface of the tank.

A note about gauging CO2: 3-4 bubbles per second is relative and does not actually tell us how much CO2 you are using. I could have 3-4 bubbles per second, but if my bubbles are larger or under higher pressure they would have more CO2. A little trick from our friend Tom Barr, is to use a large graduated cylinder (100 ml) and turn it upside down under the water, remove the tubing from your CO2 supply and place it under the cylinder (be sure the cylinder is filled with water so the gas can displace the water). Then let the bubbles fill the cylinder over the next 15 or 30 seconds (if you use 15 multiply by 4; if you use 30 multiply by 2). If you used 15 seconds multiply the measured volume by 4. You then have CO2 per minute. This is standardized and can tell us all how much CO2 you are using. Let me know if you do this, I will do the same for my tank that is like yours and we can compare CO2. Keep in mind CO2 concentration in the water will still vary depending upon the efficiency of your diffusion system ie reactor vs atomizer vs diffuser; water flow, bubble size, etc.

I have a similar sized setup with the same lighting.

Your other problem, from the photos, is that the tank is very sparsely planted. It is crucial when setting up a new tank to plant as densely as possible. If you can get more I would plant more.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

sbyboy83

Its a pity about the Photos use Photo Bucket next time its FREE and very easy to use.

I know its early but how is it progressing?

Keep us updated with the progress or lack of progress so we can assist you more as required .

Keith:):)

5. sbyboy83

sbyboy83 New Member

hi,
    sorry about photo
    here, i upload photo with bigger resolution and circle mark
    i1377.photobucket.com/albums/ah54/sbyboy83/algae_zpsc97994a0.jpg
    i think the black layer grow bigger slowly to other leaf
    do you have any idea?
    thank you

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

sbyboy

Here is the photo for you.

[​IMG]

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/algae.htm#types

Having a look at this it could be "Brush Algae"

Before I read that my suggestion would have been either cut off all the damaged leaves or even more drastic take all the effected plants out before it effects any more plants.

Next find what caused the Algae and fix that ASAP.

Keith:):)

Shadow likes this.