1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What kind of algae and what to do

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Andrews29, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

This week my tank started getting this algae. This is my first planted tank and I need help on what to do. Tank is a 29 gallon, lights are Nat geo LED running 10 hours a day. I run co2, I use flourish liquid and flourish tabs.

Attached Files:

2. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Hard to tell from the photo, but looks like regular old spot algae, which is pretty common and easily removed with a toothbrush. Some algae is normal in all aquariums, so I wouldn't worry much about it. I could be wrong in identifying it though.

Your lighting period is on the long side. Would suggest reducing to 6-7 hours.

Are you using pressurized CO2 or DIY?

ShadowMac likes this.
  3. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

I'm using pressurized co2

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Best to look at plant health. Do you have photos of the entire tank and some specifically of your plants?

J is right, some algae is normal particularly with the light ranges needed to grow plants. That is nothing that can't be scrubbed off with a toothbrush. If you want to slow it down consider a Twinstar or similar device.

5. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

Here is pictures from today

Attached Files:

6. ShadowMac

looks like a new setup.

Any particular reason you went with a UGF? Seems odd to have a UGF and also pressurized CO2. Its like the far end of low tech in terms of filtration combined with the other end of high tech, pressurized CO2. All the agitation, the powerheads with the venture, and bubbles are going to gas off a great deal of CO2.

By pressurized CO2, we are referring to a cylinder with a regulator...not DIY yeast or citric acid or even those crummy Fluval kits.

To your question about algae. At this point I wouldn't be overly concerned about a little algae showing up. Focus on trying to grow your plants well.

7. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

It is a fairly new set up some plants are 6 months old some only a week. The reason the the UGF is when I set the tank up it was going to be fish only. I had never had a planted tank. Well I got a few plants and started getting more and more. Eventually I will redue the tank with a different filter. My co2 is a fluval 88

8. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

How do my plants look at this point ? Any other pointers ?

9. ShadowMac

If you start a journal you can get some good assistance there.

Overall the plants do not look bad. They are still transitioning to submerged growth. Time will tell how you are doing. Right now, the fluval 88 is probably not doing much. It will not add much CO2 and you are likely quickly removing it via the UGF and powerheads with the venturi.

Time will tell how they do. I do see some lower leaf loss. When you setup your journal tell us the specs for the tank and the equipment you are running.

J Art likes this.