What is this type of plant called?

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by Vintage, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Hello,
    I am in the planning stage for an aquascape for my new ADA 45-f, and I have a couple questions about a certain type of plant. what is the name of the red tipped plant in the background of this aquascape? I see this used in many tanks and it looks stunning.
    Also, where can I buy it, and what are its requirements?
    Thanks,
    Hayden

Attached Files:

2. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Oh also, one more question, I often see it in a very uniform curve that looks amazing, is this achieved by just trimming it?
    Thanks again.
  3. DougsGraphics

DougsGraphics New Member

Looks to me to likely be Rotala rotundifolia (I could be wrong). I'm sure the uniform curve is due to trimming.
  4. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

100% agree. it s rotala rotundifolia. it is easy to trim in any kind of shape. trimmed pieces can be replanted.in my last layout i started with one pot and after two month the complete background in my 120 cm tank was full filled.
  5. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Thanks guys, now where can I get it? Any online stores that sell it or something like it? And Flo, how demanding is it? Could it be kept with EI dosing, DIY ferts and 4 3w Cree LED's in an ADA 45-f?

Sorry for so many questions, but I want to do my research before wasting my time and money.

Thanks,
    Hayden
  6. DougsGraphics

DougsGraphics New Member

I know you can get it here:
    Extraplant Aquarium Plants: Rotala rotundifolia

Google "Rotala rotundifolia" to find lots of additional resources on the plant. If you don't have high lighting and CO2/ferts, it will generally turn green and get spindly as it stretches for the light.

You may also be able to find someone here that could sell or ship you some clippings.
  7. hamza

hamza Aspiring Aquascaper

Thats been one of my all time favorite scapes, it was infact the grand prize winner of 2006 IAPLC.

But I think such a lush deep feel cannot be achieved in smaller tanks with any red plants in the hobby today, as most of them are relatively large(yes even r.rotundifolia) for 45p and the overall texture will look over grown for small tanks. Maybe you can try smaller green plants like HM, MU, smaller bacopas, etc.

Heres some info on the setup...

Title:Autumnal colors
    Aquarium Tank: W90xD45xH45 (cm)Aquatic Plants:
    Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan'

Glossostigma elatinoides
    Eleocharis parvula

Fish& Invertebrates:Hemigrammus bleheri
    Caridina multidentata

Source - ADA Aquatic Plants Layout Contest 2006 Top 10 Winners

From what I read(above link) the plant in question is not rotala rotundifolia, but I highly doubt that. They must have been mistaken.
  8. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Thanks for the info, I too am amazed by that scape, it is one of my largest inspirations.

Could you please give the full names of the plants you listed? I am new to the hobby, so I don't no many plants. Also, do you know any plants like these that come in a golden variation? I'm just trying to get an interesting contrast with my foreground plant (most likely HC).
  9. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

for inspiration you can take a look at AGA showcase too. i agree with hamza, in this tanksize better go for smaller stem plants.