1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

what is this algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Greg J, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Greg J

Greg J New Member

OK so to anyone who knew Greg Johnston its still me I screwed up my old account and had to make this one. I have still be playing with my trial tank and waiting for the weather to break so I can finish putting together my 10g that some of you have helped in my other post. My issue is now in my trial tank I am getting a long gray hairlike algae on my smallest plants. I have recently upgraded my lights and am thinking maybe I have to much. I placed a new hood with dual 18 wat t5 bulbs one the pink color and the other white. I can pull them out if I need to be more descriptive on bulb type. The algae doesn't seam to be cleaned off easy but I haven't tried much other than grabbing n pulling. Any help would be great. I have looked at what many treatments are reduced light/blackout is what comes to my mind but I'm still very new and don't wanna just jump over an easy fix. I'll try to add a photo as soon as I recall my photo bucket info

Thanks

Greg

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  2. Greg J

Greg J New Member

Here we go

Attached Files:

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hi Greg,

Anything we could have done to help with your old account?

The algae is a type of BBA. It was most likely the light switch. More light than CO2 provided. Are you injecting CO2? even if you are that is quite a bit of light over a 10 gallon. I would back off to a single 18 watt T5 and double dose Seachem excel or other liquid carbon for a week. The excel will help kill it. Trim affected leaves. Those look like crypts so cut all but the new shoots.

4. Greg J

Greg J New Member

I'm sure there is a way to fix the old account but I work all off my phone so it makes it tough. This trail tank is actually a 20g long (Us tank), sorry for the confusion. I have the ability to suspend the light over the tank rather than use the other mounts it came with that I currently have set up. I am not using any co2 in the tank atm. I would like to in the future but just don't have the funds yet. Any thoughts on how high I should move the lamp up ? Also what is my best course of action to remove the current algae

5. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Greg, Hope you sort out the Account:whistle: I know how if feels:( I got deleted once :LOL: But the mods sorted it out :D
    As to Algae:mad: Go with what Shawn said:D Trim back your plants which have the algae on Plus as much as you can if its on other things:( A cotton bud works well just twist it round and round Then double dose liquid Co2 You should start to see die back in a couple of weeks then keep going till its all gone the slowly decrease the liquid Co2 Hope all go's well (y)

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. Greg J

Greg J New Member

Thanks guys. Sorry for missing the end of Shawn’s post i was quite tired last night when I posted (12 hr work days do that) I will trim everything up once I get home tonight. Thanks for the help. Do you think i will need to still reduce my light output permanently or will I be able to just increase my excel overall?

7. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Greg, Sorry forgot the light bit :confused:Yes reduce your light as well (y)How many hours have you got them running ?? or as Shawn said make the lights higher :) One other thing you could try is a broken light period " say you lights are on for 10 hours " Then run for 5 hours then off for 2--4 hours then back on for 5 hours :) I am running my Cube like this;) The plants are doing well and helped get rid of Staghorn +Hair algae well it worked but i never changed the lighting timer back to normal :eek: Lazy me :LOL: Well if things are working why change them my other tanks lights on 9 hours a day And no problems:) Well a bit of hair algae in one but beating this a the moment :cool: At this point i have 3 tanks up and running :cool: No two tanks are the same you just have to find the sweet spot for each tank :sneaky: Well its fun and frustrating at the same time :D

8. ShadowMac

reduce the light or you will continue to have the issue. Double dosing will help address it, but shouldn't be used as a general management technique. Algae can be our friends and signal when things are not going smoothly. Listen to it and reduce your light levels ;)

9. Greg J

Greg J New Member

At the moment I have trimmed the affected plants and have flipped the pinkish light off ... any sugestions as to how high I should rase the fixture over the tank so that some of the light can be depleted. Also is there any reason that the lowest height plants were the first affected or is it more due to leaf size. They are also the smallest leafs in the tank.

Thanks

Greg

10. ShadowMac

Slow growers tend to be most affected by this type of algae (crypts, anubias, ferns). The leaves are older than in faster growing stems so have more time for algae to attach and grow when given the chance. If you turned one bulb off I would wait and see what happens.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the growth and color I have seen in my 20 gallon with just a single 24 watt T5 alongside good pressurized CO2.

11. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Greg

The only way to slow the algae on Anubia is to keep promoting new growth and keep removing any old growth that has any sign of algae on it.

Keith:):)

12. Greg J

Greg J New Member

Well I can't see any new algae forming yet (crossing my fingers) hopefully it stays this way but it took a few weeks last time so im not sold that its fixed yet. Also Keith you said keep promoting new growth. Is that mainly done my trimming ? Or are there other ways.

Thanks

Greg

13. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Greg

Pruning/trimming can promote new growth so can regular plant foliar feeding, including fert tabs at the recommended rate.

Keith:):)

14. Greg J

Greg J New Member

thank you for the info Keith. Unfortunately the BBA has returned :/ i have decreased my light time overall since its return but have not had a chance to clean it all out again. Is there anything else that i"m missing or am i still in the right path?