1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

what is this algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by gavinsons, Mar 16, 2011.

1. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

This red looking algae has been growing in my tank. It's on my plants and driftwood. Just trying to track it down and find out how to get rid of it.

Attached Files:

2. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Hi,

It seams brown algae. If this is correct some ottocinclus affinis will eat it very quickly!

lalmeida

3. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

It's more red and ottos wont touch the stuff. And nothing i have tried will kill it. I did have a little brown and green algae before and i killed off most of it except the red. Sorry the pictures are not great, i was just using a little nikon cool pix camera.

4. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

5. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I can't really see clearly but it look like initial stage of BBA (Black beard algae). Do you inject CO2? If it is BBA, you can kill it by spot treatment using seachem excel. You can also use H2O2

6. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

it's growing all over my filter tubes and everything. yes i do inject c02. So i could put hydrogen peroxcide in a serenge and spot treat it in the water?

7. Shadow

Normally thing that can be remove such as heater, spray bar, driftwood, rocks, etc I will clean it outside. Unfortunately I do not know the H2O2 safety dose. I just afraid that it will effect your fauna if you dose too much.

8. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

I am going to try the black out method, I just got done covering the tank. I fed the fish and then did a 40% water change. I'll uncover it friday when i get home from work to see the results. I'm going to take the driftwood out of the tank along with the spray bars and heaters to clean them really well. Hopefully this will get rid of this nasty stuff. And for some reason today when i got home i had 4 dead rams. If something is going on in my tank i would think the discus would have died off first. It was just a little funny that the only fish that died were the rams. I always thought they were hardy fish considering i have had them for 2 years and in 3 different tanks. Just a thought.

9. Shadow

black out will not work on red algae. In my opinion black out only work on green color algae :)

10. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

I think it's worth a shot, nothing else has worked and i want the hydrogen peroxcide treatment to be my last resort. I'm just not that into putting chemicals in my water unless it's fertilizer for my plants and that is just trace elements. I have considered using the copper algaecide, but again i want those methods to be my last resorts.

11. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

It's bba and is indicative of insufficient co2, spot dosing excel works but it's potentially harmful to the plants when used like this. Best practice is to clean out as much as you can, cut of infected leaves, clean the tank all round, start dosing excel directly onto what's left and increase co2.

12. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

James' Planted Tank
    Here's an exemplary link on all things algae. Much better than the krib one linked earlier.