1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What is read online vs success

Discussion in 'Fish' started by BrianS, Feb 12, 2015.

1. BrianS

BrianS New Member

I posted earlier about being a noivce however I do have another question. When going to sites like aqadvisor, talking to other people in the fish keeping hobby I get two very different opinions. I know some people who have been doing this for a long time 10 plus years. Yes I do get opinons from them. I have seen some of their "over stocked" aqaurims and they claimed to have some fish for 5-10 years in their. When I run them through the AqAdvisor I get told that they are over crowded, or non compatible. However I see what they have in front of me. So are the sites like AqAdvisor just playing it safe or are they considering real world experienced people? I mean computer programs can only tell you so much. It says my tanks are way over stocked but I never had a problem. I just fallowed what I was told by people in the hobby long before me.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Brian can you fill in your Country and location in your profile please.

Aqadvisor is just a guide and, being a guide always plays on the safe side.

Getting different opinions (providing they are all correct) are always very good but I must admit can be confusing to a beginner.

As an example over stocked is not a problem if you know how to control it with good filtration ++, excellent water quality and tank maintenance.

Incomparable fish can be risky but again can be done in some cased, then you can have a peaceful fish that can be a stinker (usually when lights out).

Personally I am very close to 50years and been interested in Aquariums for more than 70 years.

When I started being interested in fish and Aquariums the word "computer" did not exist.

A good LFS were not easy to find and you had to rely on them for every thing.

If there is a mistake to be made I think I have made it, that is how I learnt about fish keeping. Aquascaping is totally different I started an interest in design work when only 15yld at school and have studied and taught it over many years.

Keith:):)

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Like everything you have to go into it with an open mind. If you are doing something your Dad or Granda will chirp in with 'You're doing it wrong' when you've just researched how to do it. You will get tilers and workmen that still use PVA as a water proof barrier. You will get 'computer experts' that still do things the way they did on older programmes.

Same with this hobby. How long you have been in it means not a jot if you haven't updated your knowledge. Many LFS will warble on about keeping nitrates low, Many will suggest the fertiliser with no nitrate or phosphate 'because it causes algae'.

You also have the crowd that are in any walk of life and on any subject are stubborn or resistant to change or plain know it alls. You know the kind that will say 'My Grandad smoked all his life and he lived to 80' or as an example of someone I know (my wife) who until recent years would defend her diet saying 'I've eaten this diet all my life and didn't do me any harm' and 'My mum and Dad have eaten this food all their life and didn't die'.

My answer to those is 'So what your Grandad lived till he was 80. Maybe he would have lived to 90 if he didn't smoke all of his life. It also doesn't mean you will live to 80. I'm not denouncing someone's right to smoke here I am simply struggling with the defence of it :) (I smoke BTW.)

The Next one was me querying the sheer amount of fryed food my wife ate. I got that answer and left the subject alone. She changed her diet last year when she started getting sick.

The final one my answer to my wife was (although phrased in a much more sensitive way) 'But your Dad has had diabetes for 20 years and now your Mum has too. This has been caused by their diet!!!

When I first got into managing companies I was pretty aggressive in terms of restructuring things and changing things. Habits die hard and people don't like change. I would see something that wasn't working or was not efficient or was simply wasting time (money) or restricting something else. I would develop things but always try and include the people concerned that the change would affect. It surprised me how many times I got an answer back of 'This is the way we've always done it' or 'If it ain't broke, why fix it' or 'It's always worked before'.

The answer here would be So what if it's the way we've always done it. It is broken and needs fixing and if it was working before that something different must have been in play for it to work.

So the message is go into it with an open mind and be prepared for the possibility that in a few years time everything you understand now will have been added to the 'used to think was true' pile.

Like Keith says there are ways of getting round 'stated facts' but there is much more mythology and pure bumpf out there than there is actual fact.

There are lots of people who say their fish are healthy or they are happy or their tanks aren't overstocked without knowing that they aren't. Some of these taks have a few of each species in and they aren't even seeing natural behaviour. Many fish are better in groups.

Get the salt pot ready to pinch from because as with all things in life there is truth out there but mixed with selective truth/lies to lies and just misunderstandings / incorrect thinking.

People can be very very defensive of 'their things'.

Welcome to ASW. lol

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  4. keithgh

Supercoley1,

That would be one of the best replies I have seen for a very long time.

There is always the very old one "It works for me" attitude and that makes it the only way, thank goodness those members never stay around very long.

Just because its always been done that way does not mean there is no room for improvement.

I had a big argument in a large fishing club about members always complaining about a certain week end away fishing as it was always crowded because it was a long week end.

Easy fixed change the date, NONO cannot be done WHY??? Its tradition to go on that weekend.

I left the club not long after that.

I will always say it the beauty of this Forum there are many different opinions but we respect their views on how and why things are done.

When you get different opinions go through it very carefully and work out what suits you the best and in the end you could have another opinion that is perfectly correct.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  5. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Sure thing... I'd recommend tanking all the recommendations. being stubborn will end up costing you way more in the end... (which is what I did)

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

Lets go back in time when I first started about 50 years ago.

The LFS was your only source of information and many were only interested in your money, trying to find a helpful LFS was not very easy and often a long drive away.

Today its different many LFS's are company owned and many of the staff are only there to sell and their Aquarium information is often far less that the beginner, again locating a good LFS is not easy for the beginner.

There is technology every where and its full of information and that creates more problems as some of the information is completely wrong and very miss leading.

Today thank goodness there are some excellent Aquarium related forums well moderated to make sure the miss leading information is not posted on their forum

I have been involved with aquarium forums for many years and I can honestly say ASW would be one of the most helpful and friendly forums there is today today.