1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What has aquascaping done for you?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by J House, Sep 24, 2008.

1. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Beside the obvious sense of achievement, satisfaction and relaxation that is derived from creating a successful aquascape, I believe there are many other benefits that come out of such an undertaking that aren’t as obvious.

Some benefits that I have personally realized:

Greater appreciation of nature
    Creating these scapes and incorporating rock, wood, plants, fish one can appreciate all that nature has to offer. From the smallest twig to the largest of trees, it’s easier to appreciate the beauty of each in its respective space.

Overcoming of obstacles
    One will inevitably be confronted with a problem that will have to be overcome to achieve the aquascape invisioned. To overcome and find success can only help with life’s obstacles in general.

Patience
    Ones sense of patience can only be extended through the art of aquascaping as this virtue is needed in large quantities as we watch and wait for the scape to develop over time.

Restraint
    The ability to hold back, when tempted to add more plants, fish that might ruin the balance of the scape and/or water quality.

In addition, I've gotten comments how good my front yard landscaping looks B-)

These are just some of my personal thoughts. I'd like to hear of other benefits you might have experienced through this art form.

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

photography, it has influenced me to take 'proper' pictures rather just get a pic with a white blob in the midlle lol

3. defdac

defdac New Member

Deeper understanding/knowledge in/of photography, biology, physiology, chemistry, ecology, physics, mechanics, software development, mathematics, art, design, nature.

This have all taken alot of patience, which I have always have had a bunch of.

4. cicjay

cicjay New Member

Constant ear bashing from significant other...

5. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

That's a good one. :tea:

I haven't mastered patience yet. This is one virtue that has alluded me. :time:

As I get deeper into this hobby I've meet a bunch of friends who share the same passion for planted aquariums and aquascaping as I do. To me there's nothing better than chatting about the things we love to do in our free time.

Also, if it wasn't for planted aquariums and aquascaping, I probably wouldn't have learned how to do the technical things I do on this website and magazine publication. It's been extremely time consuming, but in the end very, very rewarding.

-John N.

6. nikko

nikko New Member

I am more patient.

I am poorer.

I am more wavering. Some days I suspect I know a lot about about something, and other days I am certain I know nothing about anything.

My hair is thinning, my eyesight is weaker and my body is becoming more pear shaped (my friends suggest these are more related to age than hobby, but I don't believe them).

:-?

7. Norbert Sabat

Norbert Sabat New Member

My 3cents,...

1. I develope my artistic sense in that "art". Long ago i draw pictures and screens for comics books so when i go in to aquascaping i could do same things but in different "environment"

2. Aquascaping develope my photography skills and put me into photography hobby.

3. Aquascaping don't make me patient becouse i'm patient ;)

4. Aquascaping put me in to "underground" :) because i was sick about some things so i decide don't public my aquaristic works on forums (only on my web).

5. Aquascaping make me boring - maybe this isn't hobby for me - I enjoy more other things :)

Don't make this so serious ;)

8. StanChung

StanChung Aspiring Aquascaper

Most of the above but I think the most rewarding is meeting new people and sharing what we know with workshops and gatherings and enriching your life.

I learnt a lot when I host workshops. [haha] You know what they say, if you want to learn, teach. Make mistakes, learn. Slay the sacred cows. Learn what's the limit. appreciate the smaller things support the larger things and every thing's in a glass ecosystem managed by you.

Creating competitions are really fun. It's diplomacy, panic, chaos, and quite fun.

I've seen a lot of people take it further by making it into a paying hobby and job. I see myself retiring and probably doing this in my twilight years.

9. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Me too! :((

Who knew aquascaping and planted aquariums were so expensive! From equipment, plants to hardscape materials it all adds up to more than I want to know!

Ah that would be a joy I would love to have. Turning a hobby into a fun job that we actually love to do is something we all dream. Maybe one day...:rolleyes:

-John N.

10. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer New Member

.......a wet sleeve!:bathbaby:

Dave.

11. J House

J House Moderator Staff Member

Lots of humor. Wasn't my original intent when I started the thread, but it certainly does fit. One setup not too long ago I had my L. Aromatica really coloring up on top and my wife passed the tank one day and said "Wow love the flowers" I simply said "Yes Dear". If she thinks the L. Aromatica tips are flowers, it can only help me. LOL.