1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What do you use on the back of your tank?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Linds, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi,

I've recently set up a tank and currently have nothing on the back glass as a background. I was just wondering what people use for this and what looks good. I have used the commercially available stuff on a roll with pictures of plants or rocks etc. but I don't really like them. I have seen pictures of clouds or waterfalls etc. but I'm just wondering what else to use. I imagine just a plain colour would be nice.

I've also seen lights set up to make it look like a sunset etc. I i were to do this i'd have to have a screen set up behind and project onto it with coloured LEDs I suppose.

Just interested to see what other people do.

Linds

mumushummus likes this.
  2. mumushummus

mumushummus New Member

Hi there !
    i don't use a background at all , a have a high valisneria planted in the background and beside the anubias, java moss, java fern and fontinela mixed planted wood on suction cups for the times when valisneria is low and taking his rest :D ... the picture backgrounds ones are sooo no no IMO ! the fake rock, resin or wood backgrounds are a good option too...
    Better a degrade one of a nice pastel color if i ever use one..
    or the lights method as you said.... if the wall on the back is a light color

3. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Depends on the tank and the effect I want, I personally love the look "privacy film", the stuff you use on bathroom windows looks on the back of tanks, especially if you have some low wattage backlighting otherwise I just pin a big sheet of mount board of any colour behind the tank.

mumushummus likes this.
  4. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks guys,

I'll have to try some colours then. I've never heard of privacy screen (other than actual glass). Is it a self adhesive type thing? I like the idea of being able to change the background with lighting so I suppose the privacy screen acts like a diffuser.

Linds

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, there are a few types, self adhesive and a kind that's like cling film which attaches with static (I think) either works well, I don't know how common it is outside the UK however, but places like home depot in the US and what ever the AUS version is will likely have it. Yeah it works as a diffuser, works really well even without illumination as it tends to give a greater sense of depth and is so much cheaper than one of those lovely, but expensive, ada mist tanks. It also makes more garish colours seem more natural and in keeping, when using card backgrounds.