1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What do you think about bamboo?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Lucywu2012, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Lucywu2012

Lucywu2012 New Member

Bamboo is no longer just a delicacy for pandas or a collectible for sinophiles.
    The environmental movement is embracing bamboo — it's actually a type of gigantic grass with hollow, jointed, woody stems — as a raw material source for organic products.
    Bamboo truly is a remarkable renewable resource. It is a centuries old material that has been and continues to be used by over half the world's population for applications as varied as food, shelter, fuel and clothing. These applications make bamboo a vital non-timber, non-petroleum resource. With a tensile strength superior to steel, it is one of the most versatile and durable natural resources in the world.
    Now, can you tell me what do you think of bamboo? Can you share your opinions with me? I'd like to listen to all of yours ideas.

2. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Wow Lucy. bamboo huh. Never thought of it. I wonder if it will last submerged in water? Good idea though^:)^

3. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

i had bamboo growing in one of my first planted tanks. It was in there for about 2 years. Never really grew all that much, almost like the submersion stunted it's growth.

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Bamboo submerged complete underwater typically only lasts a year before it rots.

If you have the stalks submerged, and the leafy portions out of the water, then it does a lot better.

With that said, I think have bamboo in an aquascape (not expected to last more than a year) would look fantastic. Simply having bamboo in a tank will immediate evoke a feeling of nature, elegance, and style.

I haven't see any bamboo inspired aquascapes (probably because it doesn't do well submerged in the long run) however I think it would look great for a short term aquascape.

-John N.

5. Lucywu2012

Lucywu2012 New Member

Aha, that's a good idea. Bamboo living under the water. I will have a try!

6. hrishi007

hrishi007 Aspiring Aquascaper

nice idea..i wud give it a try

7. littlefish

littlefish New Member

I bought some lucky bamboo from a store dedicated to aquariums, they said it is an aquatic plants, but after a few days in the water the leafs started to become yellow so I took her out and now is a beauty in a flower pot. In conclusion I don't think lucky bamboo can growth completely submersed.