1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What do you guys think of this hardscape?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Hanzltje, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Hanzltje

Hanzltje New Member

Hi guys, i would like to have your opinion on this hardscape.
    The wood is in one piece so that is kind of fixed, but i'm not sure about the placement of the stones....any suggestions?
    O, and what plants will be good for this scape?

Sorry about the crappy pics....took them in a hurry with a compact camera, i hope it's good enough..

Aquarium info:

Aquatic Nature Cocoon L45*B28*H30 with rounded edges.
    Filter JBL Cristalprofi E700 with PM nano lily pipes 10mm.
    Heater Hydor in-line heater 200W.
    Light 2X Aquatic Nature Spectra 18W power compact.
    CO2 Aqua Medic set with Dennerle cristal glass set.
    Cabinet DIY ADA style matt ash grey.
    Soil power sand S with aqua soil amazonia II.
    Manzanita wood and seiru stones.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. SuperWen

SuperWen New Member

IMO add more slope at the background, put more stone at front (smaller one)
    tie windelove between the driftwood, moss on the top of stone, and anubias or downoi between the stone. put tennelus, hairgrass or other foreground plants in front of it.

3. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

In my opinion - overall I think it looks great.

If it were my setup, I'd probably move some of the rocks closer to the front, leaving more room in the back for tall, bushy plants that will provide a dense background. The same goes for the wood - you have a really beautiful piece, but a lot of it seems like it's towards the back, and may eventually get covered up by plants. You could always break the wood if you wanted to!

As far as plant selection, I'm not the one to ask. I have a 29 gallon tank and a T5 high output twin tube fixture, but even that only provides about 2 watts per gallon and really limits the types of plants I can grow. At present I have java ferns, anubis, and a few crypts.

Good luck!!!

4. Hanzltje

Hanzltje New Member

Thanks for the fast reply!

Superwen: You're right that it has not enough slope yet, i have to put some extra aquasoil in it and crush a bigger rock i have left to make smaller stones...

Bsnyder921: Thanks for the compliment! the stones are going to change place a bit and some smaller stones are added. the wood is actually hanging a bit forward but it is not visible on my crappy pictures....better ones coming later!

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

yep, some more soil in the back
    bring your stones in front of the driftwood - otherwise they┬┤ll become invisible (hidden by plants)

6. Hanzltje

Hanzltje New Member

Ok I did some rescaping, and i think it's somewhat more in balance, however I am not totally happy with the center point being a bit too much in the middle...
    But it is not easy to place stones between the wood because the stones are lying in the soil beween the wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next thursday i'm going to buy the plants, when they have it I want some HC, eleocharis a. and a nice moss and some bolbitis to bind on the wood.