1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

what do you guys think of this background lighting idea?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by phemps, Jan 13, 2012.

1. phemps

phemps New Member

Hey guys just wanted to share something im looking into to light my white background different colors. Ive been using this brands products for quite some time in mobile instalations and have always been happy with the quality. i know its probably a little pricey for most do it yourselfers, but with a simple lamp fixture you can change colors with the touch a button.
    Extreme RGB Million Color LED Light Bulb - LED Accent Lighting

2. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

If you get the LED RGB SMD 5050 strip they are waterproof and come with the same driver and IR remote. They are circa $10 inc shipping off ebay. Would give a much more even length of light than a single bulb.

You can buy them in any length required so for example for an 80cm tank you would buy a 1m length. Then at 10cm intervals you can simply cut them. So you cut it to 80cm. Put a 10mm wide rail along the back to stick the strip to so it shines upward then connect to a power supply (99p on ebay) and away you go :)

Should cost no more than $12 and 20 days shipping for a much better option than a single bulb.

p.s. they are exactly the same as the item you have pictured there. These are imported from China but are sold in the UK/USA at 10x the price ;)

1M 5050 RGB SMD Waterproof LedStrip 30LED+IR Controller | eBay

AC 100-240V DC 12V Adapter Converter Power Supply New | eBay

I have several of these strips used as ambient lighting in my lounge however I replaced the supplied controller with a more advanced controller. Still using the small remote supplied but the controller I used is sound sensitive so I can get it to react with bass notes on music. i.e. it pulese the chosen colour with the beat or it changes colour to the beat etc.

3. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

Good idea... I may just have to do it :)

4. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

How bright are they?

5. Supercoley1

Thats a bit subjective really. At 75% brightness they look like this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are 2m around the rear of the TV and 1m shining down at the bottom. They are set at circa 75% brightness here. The IR remote in the links above (both mine and the OPs) lets you increase or decrease the brightness.

How effective they are will be dependent on how powerful the lighting over the tank is and how much 'spill' there is through to the back wall.

With backlighting it can be pretty advantagous to use a dimmer facility because if the backlight is too bright then it can overpower the mainlights and then the tank appears darker. If it is not powerful enough then the main lights can make the backlighting nearly non existent.

If they aren't bright enough then 2 strips used together can be used. Also you could get the 60 LED per metre version for a few more $$ (mine are 30 LED per metre)

6. Antipofish

Antipofish New Member

Being from Hong Kong, these should be 240v right ? (before the transformer of course) ?

7. phemps

phemps New Member

Wow awesome find and thanks very much for sharing! this definately makes this a steal for sure

8. Supercoley1

;) Doing myself out of business. I make these and sell them for £25 in kit form.

Kit comprises the transformer, the strip (cut to the customer's requirements) fitted into an aluminium U tube and a strip of very strong double sided foam tape.

The double sided strip is not fitted so the customer can decide whether they want the power leads coming out on the left side or right side.

Then you just stick the IR sensor aroun one of the sides so it can see the remote.

And no I can't put links up in here. I am not a sponsor ;) but you are fre to make your own.

They are 12V controls. The power supply is indeed a 230/240V transformer.

9. Antipofish

Antipofish New Member

LOL, you are a Moderator, second only to God..... You can post anything you want to :-"

10. Supercoley1

Nope you guys on ASW can have my secrets. I won't link to anything I may sell in here unless it is just excess plants etc and then it will not be a link it will be in the clasifieds as a bonafide personal sale.

11. Antipofish

Antipofish New Member

How do I send you a PM ?

12. Supercoley1

Click on the name above an avatar and a list should appear. Not going to be selling these by pm either though. I've given the links above for people to buy and make their own. Thats my good deed for ASW for the day. lol

13. Antipofish

Antipofish New Member

I thought you said you made and sold them ?

14. Supercoley1

I do but why byit when you can do the same for yourself. You will get the same result and there is nothing hard here. The strip has a 4 pin male connector which fits into a 4 pin female connector on the current controller/IR receiver. The power lead fits into the power input on the controller.

No wiring or nothing, just buy the 2 units, connect the connectors, put the power lead in and turn it on. Quite literally will take longer to open the kiffy bag and bubble wrap than it will to set it up :)

I have none for sale at the moment anyway, waiting on deliveries and that can take time in bulk from China. Comes seafreight to keep costs down. lol

15. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Just bought a 60led per meter RGD, not bad at £10 including delivery. Once I get it will go to Maplins and get a power unit. :)

16. Supercoley1

RGB Luis (red/green/blue) ;)

17. Antipofish

Antipofish New Member

Great Luis, got a link to where it was from ?