1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What do you expect when you post your aquascape?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., May 22, 2012.

?

What response do you expect when posting you aquascape?

1. Praise

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Critiques / advice

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  3. Acceptance

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Nothing

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

More specifically, what do you want from fellow aquascapers when you are showcasing you layout? The poll results should be interesting. Looking forward to them and your comments.

-John N.

2. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey John,

i would like to choose two things out of the list :D. No really, critiques and advice is allways helpful to become better. But sometimes praise is good for a aquascapers suffering soul. :D

abhradip1986 and ShadowMac like this.
  3. WabiKasuH20Fall

WabiKasuH20Fall Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm w/ Flo here, could not have`said it better myself. Validation would be my "other" write in option as not so much as praise that is.

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

If a critique is done correctly praise will be given where necessary but in some cases this is practically impossible.

In that case you would encourage the poster to do "this & that", then if they posted again asking questions and showing a genuine interest in how to improve, that is where the praise would start.

Constructive criticisms if done correctly then becomes a teaching and learning process.

Keith:):)

5. John N.

I'm actually surprised by the results thus far.

-John N.

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

actually there is another reason, to get votes on IAPLC :ROFLMAO:

7. biobio

biobio Aspiring Aquascaper

I just like to present my work and my projects to other people and get from them any feedback.

8. John N.

I thought they only permitted nonpublished works to the contest. Maybe I'm confused.

-John N.

9. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I voted nothing.

TBH it's nice to get a bit of praise. It's good to get some constructive criticism. But mainly it's just to put what I am doing out there. It's good to see your journal have x thousand views.

Praise is good however when it means a journal is 40 pages of 'back patting' then it gets a bit too much.

I often find that a lot of constructive criticism is exactly the opposite where 'the rock police' chime in because your rock is 10mm out of position according to a set of rules you are supposed to follow or that x doesn't conform etc. Useful to hear some comments because you can get some ideas from them but I don't think anyone can really have an idea of what the scaper has in his/her head of what they want to achieve and therefore what they se as wrong or what they would do (or what you are supposed to do) is not applicable to the vision the scaper has. I feel a lot of this 'constructive' criticism can lead to scapers being scared to leave the 'safety zone' for fear of ridicule from their peers. They then conform to the rule and let the back patting commence :)

If you look carefully there are only a few of the top scapers that move forward with each scape. The majority end up replicating / regurgitating what they have done before. Sometimes almost identical. Maybe they themselves don't notice they are doing it?

So summary. I like the 'views' count. Means people have seen it. Everything else is secondary to me.

Andy

10. Shadow

Not for this year. Last year they did mention (I quote) "Only unreleased/unpublished work produced by individual applicant is accepted". This year no such rule ;)

11. Shadow

Its is part of leaning process. Once necessary skills acquired, you start exploring new thing, new idea, new possibilities, new material, etc.

12. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Yep, agree with this..

I actually do not think about criticism or praise, I aquascape for myself, but it is nice to share what I am doing, jt may serve as inspiration for others the same way other people's scapes are inspiration for me. :)