1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What dimensions for new tank?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by matthijs-, Jul 1, 2013.

1. matthijs-

matthijs- New Member

Hi all,
    I would like to ask you a question. I am planning on building a new tank this summer, and am planning on making it a 'shallow tank'. I am going to use lava rocks as hardscape and would like to have some parts of the rocks above water level.
    Im not sure what thank dimensions would be nice to use. I was thinking of 50x25x20 centimeters. Does anyone would suggest something else, and why?
    Hope to hear from you!
    Matthijs

P.s. this tank is something i would like to create, but with some of the 'mountains' above water level
    http://aquascapers.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/826.jpg

Ohly likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

I would suggest 50 x 35 x 20.

Just for the fun of it, i like long and large tanks ! Plus, it make more place for plants and beautiful stuff !

3. matthijs-

matthijs- New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373010967.065364.jpg

Potential new hardscape

Im about to order some glass and make the 50x30x20 cm tank

Attached Files:

greenfinger 2, Ohly and keithgh like this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

matthijs

If you can reproduce that in a tank you have a winner before you start.

My only suggestion is make sure you have something like the plastic egg crate on the bottom of the tank to help distribute the weight.
    The other important point is at least a 20mm Styrene Foam/or rubber between the tank and the top of your stand.

Keith:):)

Ohly likes this.
  5. matthijs-

matthijs- New Member

Today i received the glass and build the new tank. It is a shallow tank, 50x35x20 cm. Front window is optic white glass.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373638277.845665.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373638297.548210.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373638347.130067.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373638375.748889.jpg

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi mattijs, I like the size :cool: And the Scape :) Put the two together:rolleyes: And love the idea that some of the rock will be out of water;)Regards Roy

7. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

i used this masking tape technique when making glass tank before....the good thing, not only, no sign of too much silicon sealant splatter
    but, will produce clean and evenly distribution of sealant on all corners of the tank.

nowadays, i just glued all glass edges with sealant and leave the tank for 2days then clean excess sealant on all inner corners leaving no
    sign of sealant. it is very neat to look at.

thanks for sharing and good luck on your project(y)

8. matthijs-

matthijs- New Member

Finished tank and pre-growing some HC, UC, dwarf hairgrass and ammania bonsai
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374431277.912207.jpg

Furthermore, i bought the grobeam500 led strip to illuminate this tank
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374431363.061263.jpg

And a CO2 regulator
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374431431.172826.jpg

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  9. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

was the grobeam expensive ?

10. greenfinger 2

Hi Matthijs, Love This ;) Plants Doing Well :rolleyes: All in place And ready to go;) Nice one (y) Regards Roy

11. matthijs-

matthijs- New Member

well, whats expensive? I am using a traditional T5HO lighting setup on my other tank, which was just as expensive as this led. I think this led does generate less photosynthetic active light however. The led was 120 euro.

12. matthijs-

matthijs- New Member

Here we go! I have made the scape and planted it. I will let them grow for about 4 weeks, then i will fill the tank

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374593809.068477.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374593834.977427.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374593872.290522.jpg

Ohly and greenfinger 2 like this.
  13. greenfinger 2

Hi Matthijs, The Rock work Is SUPERB When plants grow in This is going to be Super Fantastic Scape Well done Mate Regards Roy

14. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

matthijs-
    [​IMG]
    Original
    [​IMG]
    Aquascaped

I like the Original very much every thing looked balanced good positioning of rocks plus an interesting path that has plenty of interesting little shapes on its way.

Then the Aquascaping

I had to check several times to make sure it was the same Aquascape and tank.

Pathway gone its now a river mouth or a driveway.

Less rocks, and it now looks like you have two separate Aquascapes in the one tank.

Those little white rocks where did they come from certainly not from that area?

Sorry to say it now has me completely confused what was the reasoning behind all the changes?

Keith:):)

15. matthijs-

matthijs- New Member

Several reasons Keith. First of all, there were to many rocks in the prototype of the scape. They didnt fit in well inside my aquarium. If i would have copied the prototype exactly, i wouldnt have been able to put in plants, so i have chosen to create some space by deleting some rocks. Now i can grow Utricularia, Hemianthus, Elatine hydropiper, Glosso, hairgrass and ammania sp. bonsai within a relatively small tank! I think it will look awesome, since combinating different small foreground plants creates a very natural bushy look in aquascapes.

Secondly, the iphone pictures do not represent the real deal. You are right, on this pictures it just seems to be a big river mouth full of sand. In reality its a prety nice pathway, and visual illusion of depth is amazing to be honest. Remember, this is just a preview, within a few weeks i will show you some pictures that i will take with my girlfriends (semi)professional camera.

16. matthijs-

matthijs- New Member

By the way, Coridoras Habrosus will be one of the most important animals in this tank. Therefore, i have added a lot of riversand to create a good environment for those awesome schooling fish.

17. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

coridoras? really ?

i know i am not a big fan of them, but .. why?
    i'm not saying its a bad choice, but if it was my tank, i would think of a small fish that is kind of mid-water.

and will you put some other species?

Thanks for sharing your work !

18. greenfinger 2

Hi matthijs, All I can say is sometimes Things Works ;) This is coming Together :love: Shape and Form will Change When Plants grow in ;) Regards Roy

19. matthijs-

matthijs- New Member

Corydoras habrosus and pygmaeus actualy are nano-fish that form really nice school's and also swim in midwater.
    I will put in some other species too, boraras urophthalmoides for instance.

20. Ohly

Ohly Aspiring Aquascaper

ooh... i didnt know all that.. thanks! i thought coridoras where ''ground'' dweller..

personnaly i will put a group of galaxy rasboras in my upcoming project, they are suposed to be really small !

have a good day !