1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What brand of Fertilizers are you using?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by John N., Jun 26, 2008.

?

What Fertilizers are you using?

1. Seachem Line

68 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. ADA Step Programs

34 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. Kent Line

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  4. pFertz

13 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. Tropica Aquacare Line

18 vote(s)
    5.2%
  6. Dennerle

9 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. DIY powdered/liquid fertilizers

128 vote(s)
    37.3%
  8. Other

71 vote(s)
    20.7%
  1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

What Fertilizers are you using fairly exclusively? Commerical ferts or DIY?

In your experience, which one gives you better results or is easier to use?

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I've been using DIY ferts and recently I am trying pfertz (a liquid fertilization line). I have to say I like pfertz because it's really easy to squirt the 4 different chemicals into the tank and call it a done day. Even while away on vacation, the housesitter was able to do it without any problems. No more coming back from holiday to a tank full of pea soup! ;)

On the flip side, DIY ferts, is pretty easy to use, but requires a bit more know how and experience. It certainly has the benefit of being cheaper in the long run, but also has a slight learning curve.

For me, I'm about sitting back and enjoying the tank more so then fiddling with its chemistry. At the end of the day, I would recommend trying a squirting fertilizer line like pfertz, Tropica, or ADA's line. From there, step up to a DIY fertilization method if you're interested in taking your hobby to a different, abiet involved, level.

-John N.

3. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

Im using a new liquid macro and Micro fert. Two bottles are all I need. Makes it easy all around. They will soon be available to everybody soon...:)

4. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

As a labtechnician, im pretty confident in mixing my own blend of ferts. This "magic" mixture contains everything the plants need: micro and macro all in one:

[​IMG]

I sell it as a bag of powder with the pump-bottle, ready to mix with 250mL of water. Just add 1 pump/10L. Then people can buy cheap refills, a bag of premixed powder.

I did it because i felt people needed some easy way of dosing ferts to smaller tanks, since so many people neglected dosing ferts (Here in Denmark). So this was my way of making fertilization easy without getting all ADA on your wallet.

Orlando - try selling squirting bottled ferts with refill bags. There a big hit, atleast here.

5. Norbert Sabat

Norbert Sabat New Member

Hi

I use ADA STEP2 and in few other bottles (empty from ADA :) ) i use...

K2HCO3
    K2SO4
    K2HPO4
    KNO3
    NH4NO3
    MgSO4.7H2O

IMHO traces arent so important (you can use ADA, Tropica or DIY) but Macro ....ONLY DIY ;)

6. JEK

JEK New Member

I have used DIY liquid fertilizers, but now I´m going to try the ADA step program. I think ADA is far to expensive for a big tank so i will probably use DIY fertilizer when I have converted my 86g/325l tank into a planted tank.

7. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

I have begun switching over to dry ferts. I bought several "jugs" of Seachem ferts a while back and I'm making the switch to dry as the jugs run out. I do keep a bottle of Excel handy for taking care of algae issues.

8. trenac

trenac New Member

I first began using Seachem or Kent fertilizers when I first enter the hobby. Then once I acquired more tanks and/or they got larger I switched over to the bulk powder ferts, since the cost was much cheaper. Which I still use.

I recently tried the Pfertz line, started using it several months ago. I really like this method, because it is so easy to use. I wanted to give it a try because I had on tank in particuliar that was giving me an algea headache. No matter how I adjusted the DIY fert regimen I could not get an handle on the algae situation. But once I started using the Pfertz method within a month may tank algae was clearing up & is down to minimum amounts.

My plans now is to use the squirt bottles from Pfertz & put my own DIY mix in it to see how that works out for me.

9. JDowns

JDowns New Member

I use all dry ferts. I make 20 day stock solutions in 1600ml jugs and dose .... you guessed it math majors, 80ml a day.

10. lowell

lowell New Member

I use mixture of MgSO4+7H2O,KNO3,K2SO4 and micronutrients.I use the PMDD method.I'm using this for 6 years already and gives me good result.best for growing and propagating my plants.I put 10 ml at my 70G anubias tank everyday.

11. Garhan

Garhan New Member

I began using DIY dry ferts after using most know commercial products available in Canada with very mixed results or poor performance based on there recommended dosing. The DIY results are considerably better with a whole lot less algae issues if any. I dry mix and store in files and usually mix a month or 2 worth of prduct on a Sunday afternoon when I feel lazy. Files have different ratios and are stored accordingly to tank volume. i.e Row 1 and 2 for 20-40 gallon, row 3-4 for 40-60 gallon, Rows 5-6 for 60-80 gallon tank. Film containers for 130 gallon tank, etc.. It then goes in the tank before I feed my fish in the morning. Pop the lid and dump contents into tank, done. next tank, and on to the other 3 tanks and do the same. The whole proccess take less than 1 minute.

[​IMG]

12. akmal

akmal New Member

Garhan, to the unknowing, they might think you're mixing up some sort of chemical drugs...i hope you store them in a box labled "Aquatic plants ferts" hahaha

anyhow,

i use the Seachem line ( potassium and flourish ) for my high tech tank and some cheapo fert (couldn't remember the brand) from our local LFS for my low tech tank...

13. oregonaqua

oregonaqua New Member

Dry ferts pps-pro
    csm+b
    glutaraldehyde 2.5% solution :113:

started with seachem line but cant afford it! need money to buy plants lol

14. Rudi Giacomini

Rudi Giacomini New Member

I started with Sera products, then JBL and now back on Sera.
    Both marks don't include K so I add K with a KHCO3 solution...

15. MiSo

MiSo New Member

i use the pps pro method to dose macro's and micro's.
    very easy imo, and a lot simpler/cleaner to do than dosing dry ferts daily because you only mess with ferts when you're measuring it out to make your solution. i dose from a pump bottle that squirts approximately 1 ml per pump so that makes it very easy. Plus, making your own solution is very cost effective =)

16. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

Well after using my liquid micro and macro bottles, I can firmly say I dont think I will do that again. Maybe for small tanks, nano and the like.
    Anything bigger than a 40G I will continue the dry fert way....:)

17. Dan Pellegrini

Dan Pellegrini New Member

DIY does carry a learning curve, but that slight bit of extra knowledge sure comes in handy when you are having a problem and need to sort things out.

I premix a couple weeks worth of Macros in a twin-neck dosing bottle and use different commercial micros, but I tend to like Flourish - here is a good comparison chart:

Fertilizer Comparison

Really simple to leave instructions for house sitters when I am traveling - twin neck bottles make it a breeze - only 2 things to add to each tank - open, squeeze and pour.

DIY Fertilizers

18. Vojs

Vojs New Member

I am using Easy Life fertilizers (Pro fito, Easy Carbo, Ferro) for about a year and I am very satisfied with them, plus Nutrafin NPK.

Before them I have used Tetra fertz.

19. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

I use TPN+ dosed daily

20. George Farmer

George Farmer Aspiring Aquascaper

Me too. That's Tropica Plant Nutrition+, BTW, for those unaware.