1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What are the fertilizers required to grow healthy plants?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by joe, Jan 20, 2010.

1. joe

joe New Member

Hi,

I am fairly new to this game, and was wondering what the essential chemical components required to grow healthy plants are? I have been studying the site, and have gathered much useful information on lighting, filtration, substrates, CO2 etc, (many thanks for your information) but really want to get to grips with what additives I need to be putting in the water.

I am going to be setting up a Amazonian style aquarium (260 litres), with lots of anubias, java ferns, mosses, etc, and plan to use RO water with Tropic Marin pro discuss remineraliser. Also is there one plant fertilizer that is a 'complete' fertilizer and do these plants have different requirements to other plants, in terms of the chemical additives they recieve?

Thanks for you help.

Joe

2. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

try using excel, its great for all plants as a daily fert at least thats waht i read in the internet

3. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Seachem Excel is same as Easy Carbo
    Both are an alternative liquid carbon source, you can dose it additionaly to pressurized Co2

Tropica Plant Nutrition + is an all in one solution including Micro and Macro Elements.
    All plants require same nutrients but in different amount, depending on their growth rate.

Finaly dont forget to use a nutrient rich soil, such as Aquasoils from ADA

4. joe

joe New Member

Thats brillaint. Cant wait to get things underway :)

Thanks for your help!

Joe

5. Carolina

Carolina New Member

I have seen a few tank that do great without ferts or injecting Co2. One got his water from a well. Seems to depend on the minerals in the water, substrate, plant types being suitable for your light.

My favorite is potassium sulfate, dry fert that last longer than the liquid ferts. Dry ferts cheapest from here. Here a picture of what some deficiencies look like.

6. SuperWen

SuperWen New Member

7. joe

joe New Member

Thanks a lot for your help. Will be ordering the plants in soon, so your help is very much appreciatted.

Cheers

joe

8. Carolina

Carolina New Member

Ferts cheaper here.

9. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Typically you need Nitrogen (N), Phosphate (P) and Potassium (K). NPK normally what people call macro nutrient because plant need it in large amount. There are many different brand of Macronutrient but the cheapest would be dry fertilizer, typically KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4. Unless you leave in Singapore where KNO3 is a control item because it is ingredient of gun powder :p but you can replace it with CaNO3...

Other that macro nutrient, plants also need micro (trace element) and CO2. If you want to know detail of which element considered as trace, you can visit seachem website, search for flourish trace.