1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

What about aquarium backgrounds?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Isis, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Isis

Isis New Member

The beautiful aquascapes I've seen here often have awesome backgrounds . . . something like a gentle ocean view, or rippling water. Do the aquascapers create their own? Can I buy something in that style somewhere? I need something that would show off the small tetras I have in my 50g. Nothing busy as I have various plants (just a beginner with aquascaping) Have a dark blue now but it seems somewhat overpowering . . . Thanks MUCH for any pointers o:)

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Best backgrounds are simply unicolored paper cards with backlit.
    Can you show the backgrounds you are talking about?

3. saintly

saintly Aspiring Aquascaper

To achieve a nice background, you'll need back lighting. something like...

if your tank runs 24wt5 use this Wattage bulb fitted with reflector.

same with 39, 54 t5 etc...

It'll give you good results in 'live view'

[​IMG]

just change the background card for different effects

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

black of course, is black...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

purple...

[​IMG]

these are just a few examples

4. saintly

this vid shows my back lighting

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElJoJmDQrtA]YouTube - tank[/ame]

5. Isis

Isis New Member

Yes, YES!!! :) these are just what I am hoping to achieve . . . these tanks are just awesome. I'll need to look at reflectors. At this time I only have fluorescent 15 W bulbs in the hood that came with the tank (Petsmart). I guess that wouldn't do would it?
    Also forgive a newbie ambitious question, but are the 'cards' you speak of home made?
    thanks again, I'm totally impressed :)

6. saintly

pleased to help.

In my experience, t5 is a minimum requirement. you'll need...

24, 39 or 54t5 depending on lenght of tank.
    reflector from any LFS
    and ballast/controller

rig the whole thing up as you would do for any aquarium, but place it at the back of the tank. you'll need about 2 inch gap.

Card- as in cardboard. notice in the vid that it's angled...this is important to, to eliminate 'shadow lines'

7. Isis

Isis New Member

Most useful information and pictures. Many thanks, Saintly. I think I'm getting a green nose looking at your wonderful scapes :daydream:
    Just to answer Juri I also was so impressed by some of Jason Balibans work on the 'Best aquascapes of 2010' thread.
    Now of course I do need to upgrade my lighting as you mentioned. Have a 55g and would look for a T5 fixture covering the whole aquarium instead of the 2 hoods I now have. As an aside I have been keeping fish for over a year now, but started out with 9 tiny rescued goldfish from a bad pond. Just wanted to save them. We all went through the cycle (which at that time I did not know a thing about) in a 29g. Then they grew so I upgraded to the 55g. They were so cute and became real pets, but again they grew and grew . . . so I finally gave them to the local water gardens. It was hard as I was attached! So after that I decided to continue with freshwater tropicals. I now have 9 serpaes, 6 redeyes and 12 cardinals. all seem happy and well and are putting up with my aquascaping efforts :-? Incidentally I belong to a contemplative group so have to go slow with expenses. The sisters think I'm nuts! Happy New Year!