1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

wet behind the ears

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by bigQfan, Apr 23, 2012.

1. bigQfan

bigQfan New Member

hello all..jeff in chicagoland here..browsing the web and stumbled across planted tanks and instantly fell in awe. decided i wanna have a go at that. i had never owned an aquarium before in my life, but now i got the bug bad! please go easy on me as i lean on you for help. thanks in advance

2. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

Welcome to ASW Jeff!! This is a wonderful forum for everybody(beginner or expert) where you can learn a lot from people across the globe sharing the same hobby :) so cherish each advice/critic/appreciation you receive as they will help you get better at this beautiful hobby! And have a nice stay.

3. Kalan850

Kalan850 New Member

its really a good forum and source for info. look forward to seeing your projects 8)

4. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

I second abhradip1986's comments - lots of great people are here on this forum ready to help, regardless of your skill/knowledge level. We all started out in your shoes!

This is a great hobby to get into, and you have a lot to learn. You'll learn about everything from art to science.

I think the best first step is to think about budget and space. You can have all the money in the world, but if you have no space for a fish tank then you're kinda screwed. :) Once you know how much money you can spend (think of a total, maximum dollar amount for getting up and running) then you can start thinking about how big of a tank you want. The dimensions of your tank are extremely important - they will dictate what type of lighting fixture you buy, what capacity filter you'll need, how much substrate (fancy word for the stuff that goes in the bottom of the tank - gravel/dirt/etc) you'll need, etc.

Think these things over, then get back to us. Good luck!

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hello and welcome to ASW!

This forum started as my home when digging into planted tanks for the first time. It is a great place to learn for all skill and experience levels.

I'm sorry to tell you there isn't really a cure for the bug you caught...but you can learn to live with it :D

6. bigQfan

bigQfan New Member

thanks for the kind words everyone, and for the sage advice. when time permits i will be able to post a pic of what i started and then start hammering you guys(and gals) with questions.
    talk to you all soonly!
    jeff