1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

West Virginia river scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by KatieK, Sep 1, 2013.

1. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

At the front edge of the glass where the soil/gravel abutts the glass, that is where I meant to smooth out across the tank.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Randy

I like to level off first then let have a mind of its own.

If I was entering a competition which I will not, I would run a piece of masking tape to get a perfect straight line only because that is what the judges are looking for every thing very neat and tidy.

When I do the Gravel vac on the 5ft its all over the place.

The 75 cm is a bit better only because I cannot do a gravel vac.

My tanks are for my fish first then me and that's the way I like it.

Keith:):)

3. KatieK

KatieK Aspiring Aquascaper

Ah yes Randy, I see what you are talking about. I can do that.

Eventually, yes, I would like to enter into competitions. I stumbled onto the IAPLC website first, then I found this forum. I'm learning the trade, right now, but I want to get to a point where I feel confident enough to enter a tank into some sort of competition.

Katie

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Katie, I like your thinking. Aquascaping Competition's I am thinking that way to :DWell worth a go and we will learn so much at the same time.Was thinking of entering next year :oops: Well now I know how long things can take maybe 2015 ;) Hope to see your Scape there (y) Well never hurts to reach for the sky :giggle::p

5. KatieK

The first thing I learn on this forum is time zones. I look up everyones time zone to see what time it where they're writing.

Working towards a goal is always the best way to learn. I don't think I'll be ready to enter the IAPLC for a couple more years. However, I wouldn't be apposed to something much smaller in a year or so. The questions I have about the tanks entered in the IAPLC is, 1) what is the average size, and 2) how long have the tanks been going? Also, I would love to get my hand song he results book they publish every year.

Katie

6. greenfinger 2

Hi Katie, Average size 150 Lt above Win top placings . Some of the top Aquascapers on this forum after posting pics to IAPLC strip down and start work on there next Aquascape :cool: As to results. Well did start a thread;) But no reply's from top bods :whistle: Think they keep that under there hats;) I would be interested in how the judges mark the Aquascapes And what they are looking for. Seems to me at this point in time its mountains with moss Aquascapes rule;) But times are changing Some fab Aquascapes coming to fore now well its art:D As always nicking old ideas but put a new twist on it :rolleyes: They have Smaller Aquascapes in the competition to (y)

7. KatieK

So, that's about the size I have. My tank is 125 liters/33 gal. I just explored the forum and noticed everyone is posting there pictures of their IAPLC tanks. I have quite a ways to go before entering a tank. Their designs are amazing and detailed oriented. I don't want to say I'm discouraged, but the gap from where I am to where I need to be, is bigger than I thought.

Katie

8. greenfinger 2

Hi The gap is smaller than we think;) Just have to start thinking:X3: And learn :cool: But with all the best info to hand on ASW And some ideas Well We could rock the world :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

9. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Looks like two aspiring Aquascapers thinking about the future.

My suggestion see if you can contact any recent contest winners via PMs and have a chat to them , especially about all the rules and what is expected.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  10. KatieK

I think the gap is pretty big. Maybe it's smaller for you, greenfinger, because you've been doing this longer. I don't have the artistic eye yet.

Keith, that's a good idea when I'm getting closer to entering a competition. I'm happy right now. I know I'll want to change my scape eventually. We all do, I guess, or else we would invest in salt water.

Katie

11. greenfinger 2

Hi Katie, I only started six months ago:D But am addicted now:LOL: Never had so much fun with a hobby in years ;) As to Artistic eye still waiting for my ones to kick in:whistle: