1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Well (well well) water

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Scott Adams, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Scott Adams

Scott Adams New Member

So first things first. What route should I take with my well water? I live in an area here in Wisconsin where we are on a well system and the water is hard to very hard. Are there any concerns I need to address?
    Should I use water before or after the water softener?
    I know there are probably a zillion answers for what Ph & Kh are on the Internet, but what is a layman's definition for a beginner aquarists?
    I am guessing that if I tested my water for its "details" and posted the results I would get a little direction about dos and don'ts, eh?

Thank
    -Scott

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Scott

You are correct get a full water test first then we will have figures to work with.

There are fish that are suitable for harder water but I am not sure about the plants.

Keith:cat::cat:

John Whatmough likes this.
  3. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

I have read about in the states hard water areas are quite common, as Keith says you need to get an idea of just how hard ,simple test kits will give you a idea and local aquarist society’s or local water company will give you something to work with. There are many Planted aquarists in the UK have hard water and have great success in their home aquariums with them.The concern is fish ,you may have to research that ,good news plenty of barbs,tetras livebeares,are ok . If it’s really hard it’s more of a problem and only certain species will be ok some chiclids example you can,if an expert can advise reduce hard water by a ph down product. I know little about that method

keithgh likes this.
  4. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

You can always bite the bullet and get a 5 stage RO Water purifier. My dad bought a purifier a few years ago for a Green Tree Python business of ours and It's gotten weekly use ever since. I'm not sure how many stages you actually need but I'll let you research that.

keithgh likes this.