1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Well, I have a lot to explain...

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Shane P., Sep 13, 2017.

1. Shane P.

Shane P. Moderator Staff Member

Hello Guys,

Lots has happened since the last time I created a thread.

I recently setup a 120cm aquascape at my parents new restaurant in downtown Portland, and that system is doing great.

Additionally, I have entered my senior year of high school, so college applications have been taking up the majority of the time.

As for my hobby, it has expanded considerably. I now keep a variety of species of South American dwarf cichlids and West African dwarf cichlids. I also keep the additional killifish. While there are plants in their tanks, most setups are breeding/biotope oriented, as I am trying to expand my skill set as an aquarist.

I am also working on getting 2 rimless setups, one being a nano cube, the other a 60-90cm tank. I am gathering the supplies for them, and I plan to enter in this upcoming years nature aquarium contest.

I am assuming you will want to see pictures of the fish I am keeping.... many of them are unknown to the hobby, or difficult to find (as they originate in places where very few people have gone).

Here are a few of my favorites:
    Apistogramma Bitaeniata 'Rio Jutai' (Found in a rarely collected location in northern Brazil)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top is male in aggressive mood, bottom is female in neutral mood. I have better photos, I just need to find them! Here is a picture of my friend's male from the same seller (pic creds to Miguel!)
    Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 6.57.10 PM.png

Next species is a rare fish from Peru.... known as Apistogramma sp. Totoya. It is collected in a remote location near the Colombian border. Here is a dominant male, and a female.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The female doesn't look too dashing as the color of the substrate is too bright.... I recently added leaf litter, so i will get better photographs soon!

Here is a killifish I am keeping. It is known as Chromaphyosemion Bitaeniatum 'Mbanga'
    [​IMG]

I will continue to post photographs of my fish.... and of some of my project tanks. I hope you enjoy!

Shane

Zeus, Nigel95 and keithgh like this.
  2. Shane P.

[​IMG]
    Dicrossus Filamentosus from the Rio Negro in Brazil!

Zeus and keithgh like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shane
    A very interesting post with aid of photos.

I like the second photo at first it looks like that fish has an exceptionally long tongue.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. Shane P.

Haha! It is enjoying a nice worm!

5. keithgh

Shane

Its the same when eating long Spaghetti.

6. Shane P.

Yes. I recently got another fish. Apistogramma sp. D50. 1 of 2 males in the continental United States is in my possession. Scared to mess up with them.
    21886520_379132315839380_629378815_o.jpg 21895255_379135272505751_385969459_o.jpg

7. keithgh

Shane

In the first photo it looks like the worm is trying to get out of the way very fast.

8. John Whatmough

John Whatmough New Member

Great fish Shane, I had a pair of Killies very like yours didn't know the species expect they were not the short lived type, the male coloured up with brilliant colouration and developed a attitude at feeding time nothing would get in its way of first to food ,because of their reputation it was a glass lidded aquarium ,bit upset to find it dead on the carpet one morning it had managed to jump out of a small gap accidentally left when I adjusted the cover and forgot to reset

9. keithgh

John I had a big old Silver shark that often jumped out during the water change one night he managed to jump out where the filter hose was obviously that was his last jump.

When you have jumpers you must take extra precautions other wise they can jump out.

10. John Whatmough

John Whatmough New Member

It's claimed floating plants can still give the option of an open surface tank, but looking at the gap mine got through I am not so sure depends on a lot of things the fish in question, sudden things can like tank lights on in a dark room .My Barbs are so tame at feeding they appear to be half way out of the water before the food goes in

keithgh likes this.
  11. keithgh

Shane

Sorry I did not mean to Hi Jack your thread.